• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron D and 875P chipset...Will it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceCoolJay

Registered
I was just wondering if the new Celeron D chips can be used on a intel 875P chipset. I have a IC7 based on the 875P and would like to know if i can use a Celeron D cpu on it.

mtnbikerjerry

IceCoolJay said:
I was just wondering if the new Celeron D chips can be used on a intel 875P chipset. I have a IC7 based on the 875P and would like to know if i can use a Celeron D cpu on it.

That is a good question to ask your motherboard manufacturer. I am sure it could be supported but I am not sure about the lower voltage that the Celeron D could possibly offer.

If your board is an Abit, I would post that question in the Abit Forums at the Abit website.

If not, I would check with the manufacturer and send that same question to them.

Or you can take a risk like many people do here at overclockers.com and see what happens.

Up to you. In all honesty, I do not think you want to do that. Ask around first like you have to see if anyone else has tried it.

I am sure that the 875 could support the celeron D. In fact some of the Abit motherboards for the 865 and 875 support the lower voltage prescott pentium 4 socket 478's.

Once again, do check with the manufacturer of your motherboard. The manual will not tell you anything, you have to email, call them or post in a manufacturer forum.

I hope this helps.

OP
I

IceCoolJay

Registered
Oh, i dont think voltages will be a problem. I bought myself a 3.2E SL7KC and the recommended voltage for that is about 1V only on the intel spec sheet but on the box it says 1.4V. I have it running on an IC7 without a problem.

I think the celeron Ds are the same. Voltages are rated around 1V but on the box it says 1.4V. I dont think any motherboard besides some gigabyte motherboards go down to 1V Vcore.

Just want to make sure before i decide to get one.

Lancelot

Celeron-D is just a Prescott CPU so it will work on current i865/875 boards. I dunno exactly about the lower Vcore support but I do know the lowest Vcore available in BIOS setup of Abit boards is only the default of the particular chip it's running. My 2.8E gives 1.3875Vcore as a minimum setting in BIOS and my 3.2E gives 1.3625V so it seems these boards do support lower Voltages. Check you mainboard manufacterer's site for BIOS updates...

mtnbikerjerry

Lancelot said:
Celeron-D is just a Prescott CPU so it will work on current i865/875 boards. I dunno exactly about the lower Vcore support but I do know the lowest Vcore available in BIOS setup of Abit boards is only the default of the particular chip it's running. My 2.8E gives 1.3875Vcore as a minimum setting in BIOS and my 3.2E gives 1.3625V so it seems these boards do support lower Voltages. Check you mainboard manufacterer's site for BIOS updates...

I guess that may work then. Abit will just have to update its BIOS's to support these new D series Celerons.

I would love to replace a Celeron D into my Abit BH7 board if they come out with 3Ghz and above 533mhz Celeron D's

Wonder if anyone has tried to overclock these Celeron D's yet?

jtf2

Registered
I have a 2.4gig Celeron D that is doing 3.26 at default voltage. Not a bad CPU for $100Can seeing as how its doing 3.2, with 256k cache and 760FSB :D

TheBadBoy

Registered
I'm getting stable 3.6Ghz (200Mhz*18) with a Celeron-D 2.4Ghz with stock HSF but using Arctic Silver 5 instead of the thermal pad, I'm using core voltage of 1.40V. I get no errors in Prime95 or MemTest86+ until I go to 3.8Ghz. But 3.6Ghz is ideal since thats with a 200Mhz bus for DDR400 RAM with PAT enabled and above a 200Mhz bus PAT is turned off. At 3.6Ghz I'm getting CPU temperature under 55C under Prime95 super-load conditions, under normal conditions I get 40-50C CPU.