• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron processor back to original speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

upperblue

I had my Intel Celeron 600 mhz Processor overclocked to 900, but my computer isn't really stable. I would put the speed back to 600 to see if the overclocking is the problem, but I can't figure out how to do it, nor can I find any information on how to, if anyone knows anything about this, please help!

Thanks in advance

batboy

Senior Moment
Sounds like you need better cooling and then maybe a slight increase in voltage to make it stable. Are you saying that you are overclocked now, but can't remember how to go back to default speed? We'll need to know what motherboard you have. Usually you set the FSB (system frequency) in the BIOS.

OP
U

upperblue

The brand of the motherboard might be a Jabil BX Motherboard R0, but I'm not sure. I know when I bought the computer new, the motherboard came with it and it had a 450 mhz pentium III in it, if that helps

OP
U

upperblue

Deez, I want to thank you, your information didn't fix the problem, but it got me on the right track, all I had to do was change some jumpers on the processer. There was a spot, if there were jumpers in place it would run at the set speed, and if no jumpers were in place it would overclock. Also, putting it back at the original speed made my system run stable again, no more random boots. Thank you to everyone that tried to help, I know you didn't have to and I appreciate the effort! :)

batboy

Senior Moment
If you use a little better cooling and increase the voltage slightly, I bet it'll run stable at 900 MHz.

deez

upperblue...no prob, glad you got it straightened out,. Thats what we're here for...welcome to the forum

and batboy is right you could probably run at 900 with better cooling.

Lancelot

Carefully check the capacitors around the Slot1 for bulged (or even tiny cracked tops) I had the same sh*t a while ago and eventually could only run stable at default speed like you. It was just a single bulged cap that had developed a tiny crack at the top, that was causing all this trouble. I replaced it and things have been stable as ever before. From what I've read over time it seems these probs develop on BX boards when speeds get to 800Mhz or above, and you were at 900...