• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CeleronII 1.1GHZ versus PentiumIII 1GHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lourrific

Registered
I have an Aopen AX3S Pro mobo with a pentium3 700 mhz CPU ...I originally bought this board because of it's highly rated overclocking abilities which i have not yet taken advantage of .... I've had this board and CPU for just over 2 years and I think I'm ready to see what she can do. I am a newbie to O/C and I have a few options with this board as far as CPU selection but I need help determinig which is the best option for me. I have reviewed the CPU table and this is what I've found according to my Aopen AX3S pro motherboard.

Pentium3 700mhz
7036a202 1008 1.85 SL4CH philippines 3 Aopen AX3S Pro FOP32-i Cooler Samsung PC133 256MB Riva TNT2 M64 32MB Very Safety Prime95 TEST Accepted Idle : 15c Full lord : 27c 3087

Celeron2 1.1 GHZ
Q132A502 1331 1.85 SL5XR Malaysia 34 Aopen AX3S Global Win Fop32 5395

Pentium 3 1GHZ
????????

judging by these descriptions so far the best alternative for me to achieve maximum speed with this board is to use the celeron2 1.1GHZ and O/C to 1.3 GHZ. Note that these result were with an aopen AX3S, I have the PRO version of this board so I'm not sure if I can achieve better results. The CPU table did not show results for my board with a pentium3 1 GHZ CPU. I'm not sure if the pentium3 1GHZ is better for overclocking than the celeron2 1.1 this is what i need help determining. should i go celeron2 or pentium3? I can also keep my current setup and and bring my pentium3 700mhz up to just over 1GHZ but i want to max this board out and achieve the fastest speed I can safely...please advise.

Thanks in advance

I'd say go with the Celeron-T, because you have more room to overclock, Celeron-T starts at 100FSB where as the Coppermine is most likely at 133FSB..

With the 700 you have a VERY good chance at 933 (133FSB)
and the odds of 1050(150FSB) are not to far off.

The PIII will be faster than the Celeron, unless you get a Celleron 1.1A, but then you need to do some moding to the CPU/slotket in order for it to work....

I'd play around with the 700 for a while

I agree with Jay, those P-III 700's are fine CPUs and most will do at least 933 (mine would do over 1 gig). They have twice the cache as a Celeron, so the Celeron would have run about 200 MHz faster just to equal the P-III performance. Overclock what ya got and save your money up for a new P-4 Northwood system.

I agree with "jay" & "batboy"

...But in case you want more power...then the celeron tualatin
is a very good alternative.

Now...you said you are not experienced with o\c,so i wont propose you to do the tualatin mod.

**You can check at Powerleap for the tualatin adaptor that is compatible with your mobo.

If you choose the last solution,you can use the Tualatin celeron cpu's (1.0A or 1.1A),that could get you @1.3-1.5+ Ghz o\c

Thanks for your reply guys :)

I checked my motherboard website (AOPEN) and according to them I can use a socket 370 Celeron 1.1 GHZ FC-PGA FSB100MHz what's the difference between this processor and a celeron taulatin? I went to the powerleap website and they have the Taulatin socket adapter with a Celeron 1.2 GHZ taulatin CPU for $149 but in pricewatch I can get the regular Celeron 1.1 GHZ FC-PGA FSB100MHz for $67 and I don't need and adapter, so I don't understand why the Taulatin is more than twice as much for just 100mhz increase.

I've learned so far that the PIII - 700 has twice as much cache as the celeron but is a PIII - 700 FSB133MHz O/C to 933 still better than a Celeron 1.1 GHZ FC-PGA FSB100MHz O/C to 1.3 and given the quality of the PIII - 700 is a gain of 400mhz with a Celeron 1.1 GHZ FC-PGA FSB100MHz worth it at a cost of $67 ? would like your advise on this...thanks again for your help.

The socket 370 Celeron that Aopen say is compatiable with you board is the old .18u CPU with 128k L2 cache, the tualatin celeron is the newer .13u (smaller is better) CPU with 256 L2 cache, just like a proper P///.

There is not really much chance of you overclocking much with the old 1.1 celeron as the core is just about maxed at that speed. On the other hand with any of the tualatin celerons (1.0a, 1.1a, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4) you should be able to get at least 1500Mhz, the 1.0a and the 1.1a stand a good chance of getting to 133 Mhz FSB which in effect makes them the same as a P/// at the same speed.

As Tasos mentioned above your best bet for that extra power would be the powerleap adapter and a 1.0a/1.1a tualatin celeron. You need to be carefull however that you do buy the right processor as there are both old and new styles avaliable at 1.0 and 1.1 Ghz, the key thinks to look for would be 256k L2 cache, FC-PGA-2 and the 'a' after the speed.

I'm thinking about getting a pentium 4 setup in the near future so i guess I'll just save my money and O/C the PIII - 700 that i got now. the reason for all this is that I have a voodoo 5500 and i wanted to see how she would look over 1GHZ but I can wait for the Via P4X333 chipset that will supports P4 with QBM DDR 533mhz FSB and 3.3v AGP so I can keep my voodoo.

I have one more question :)

I would like to find a good quality cooler that will work for my PIII
700 for O/C and I can still keep it when I upgrade to my P4 setup ...any suggestions?

The only one that I know that has this ability is the Thermaltake Volcano 7+, but there may be others. The S370 chips and P4 chips use different mounting systems for the heatsink which make dual use sinks hard to come by.

The Volcano 7+ seems good on my Tualatin @ 1570 Mhz @1.775V, not sure how good it performs on P4's.

Taking a look on the heatsink rank on the front page is your best bet (can be found here )

Lou, I think you are wise to put off throwing money at that system, especially since it's pretty good the way it is right now. That P-III @ 933 MHz will equal a 1.1 Celeron at default speed. Since that 1.1 Celeron probably won't overclock much above 1.2 gig, it's probably not worth buying it. The Tualatins are very nice CPUs, but for the price combined with the adapter, you are better off putting that cash towards a P-4.

The P-III and P-4 CPU coolers mount completely different. Want a good cheap heatsink for your P-III? Get the Globalwin FOP32 at Heatsink Factory for $12 (see link). If you need more air flow, then put an 80mm fan on it instead of the standard 60mm fan (don't get the Delta 38 fan unless you like loud noise). I used this same setup on my P-III 700 running at 1050 MHz for a year and it worked perfect. Don't forget the Arctic Silver.

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/

Thanks for your advice guys it has helped me alot :)

I just purchased the thermaltake Volcano 7+ with 3 grams of artic silver from crazy PC for about $48. I decided to go with this cooler because it rated very well on the heatsink chart and also because it's a universal cooler and I can switch it over to my P4 setup when I decide to upgrade, I hope it will work well with a P4.

Another question I have: do i need to add a fan to my MOBO chipset? it currently has a small heatsink attached and i was wondering if this chip will overheat when O/C'd to a point that I'll need to cool it with a small fan? I have the Aopen AX3S Pro mobo and the chipset heatsink is gold colored and very shiny .... it seems to be a good quality heatsink but i'm not shure if I'll need to cool it seperately...please advise, also when i'm ready to replace the heatsink how do i get the old one off? it seems to be stuck on there pretty good and I'm afraid to pull on it too hard cause it might break ...is there a special technic you guys use to pull off heatsinks?

thanks again for your help

:D

Nice choice on the HS. The only way to find out if you need a heatsink on the chipset would be to overclock as far as you can then try a little higher with a fan held over the top of the existing chipset. If you have the BX chipset on that board then a fan will proberly help you, it defintely did on by old P/// board. Best method to remove the old sink is by placing the board in a sealed bag, then putting it in the frezzer for a few hours, this make the adhesive brittle and should allow you to easily remove the heatsink.

I have the 815E chipset, Do you think there is a fan small enouph that I can screw right ontop of the heatsink? or should I pop the HS off and get a whole new cooling assembly for it? I don't think it will get that hot....i'm just going up to 933mhz BTW do you think the 2 resistors on the bottom left corner of the socket will be a problem for the volcano 7+ ?

Last edited:
Usually a 40mm fan fits nicely right on those northbridge sinks. The old 486 and P-1 fans were this size. Probably don't need to remove the heatsink, but a little fan is a good and cheap investment.

lourrific said:
I have the 815E chipset, Do you think there is a fan small enouph that I can screw right ontop of the heatsink? or should I pop the HS off and get a whole new cooling assembly for it? I don't think it will get that hot....i'm just going up to 933mhz BTW do you think the 2 resistors on the bottom left corner of the socket will be a problem for the volcano 7+ ?

First off I presume you the the capacitors next to the socket? It may be a tight fit, there are capacitors close to the socket on my mobo, but they are cleared by a few mm. The Volcane 7+ measures in at 72mm x 70mm (the 72mm length is the top to bottom measurement if the hs was fitted in that photo you posted). You could try making a template to see how it all goes together. I think you would be safe if the HS just touches the capacitors, but it shouldn't put any preasure on them. Just a note of caution, when using this HS on a Soc370 and SocA mobo you shouldn't leave it attached when you are moving the computer around as it is a heavy sink.

I just realized that the other day....I figured that since this board is made for O/C' ing the designers would take into consideration the space required for a large HS and make sure those capacitors clear anything big that comes along. it's too late anyway I've ordered the volcano so I hope she fits nicely without touching those capacitors. I would think it's not safe for them to even touch the heatsink because if those capacitors heat up it could transfer some of that heat over to the HS and would higher my temps. I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope it works fine. BTW I bought a small 40x40x20 fan for the mobo chipset....it was the most powerfull one they had in that size (8.9 CFM) it comes with screws but if they don't work I'll just crazy glue the fan to the HS, one drop should do it. Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't worry about heat from the capacitors. 1 its more likely the heatsink would be hotter than them anyway, and 2 the heatsink you have ordered can handle alot lot more than you can throw at it with a P///. You should be able to o/c that chip with the fan on the slowest speed setting (I'm at 1.5Gig on the slowest fan speed)

If you run into minor clearance problems, a little grinder or file action on that heatsink will solve your problem. But, chances are good you'll be ok.

Hi Guys!!

I just installed the thermaltake Volcano 7+ and i'm happy to anounce that I'm running at 933 mhz without any problems and everyting is stable :) ambient temp here tonight in PR is about 85F ambient, system temp is 39C and CPU temp is 32C. I tried to go up to 1050 with a multiplier of 150x7 but the system wouldn't boot...I know I can go up to 1050 MHZ but I think it's my memory...I think one of the memory chips are 100 FSB...could that be the problem? Anyway while I was putting on the artic silver i cleaned the chip up really good and was able to see the numbers on there ...it's a Phillipines 7020A360-SL45Y. I know this chip can go up to 1050 but what could be holding it back? please advise.

one more thing...I got a 250w power supply and the -5V alarm peeps every few seconds or so ...does this mean i need a bigger power supply? It was fine before I put in the Volcano and the 40MM fan.

Back