• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cellphone numbers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

my cellphone screen is going out and very close to dead. It is the standard Nokia older one. Is there some way that I can hook it up to my computer or other means of getting all my numbers off it?
duck

Phone here

Kendan

Senior Punk
If it has a memory chip inside and your new phoone has a slot for it you can just transfer the card. I think you can also use Nokias software to transfer the phonebook to your computer.

_slh_

make sure all your numbers are stored on the Sim card rather than the phones internal memory. Or go out and buy a data cable.

kenkun

Registered
You can search e-bay for it.... usually ebay has some cheap datacable/software bundles. But then again, if you're getting rid of it, then it's probably not worth it.
If it has a sim chip then I would definitely just save it on there and transfer it to your new phone when you get it. You don't HAVE to keep that sim card. But just for your phone numbers.
Otherwise, start writing... if you're phone is an older standard version without a sim card, you're going to have to write it all down by hand.
Good luck! :)

_slh_

Its a 3360, it uses a sim card. There should be an option somewhere to store all your numbers on the sim or the phone. Just make sure theyre all on the sim. Then put the sim into your new phone and, if youre planning on carrying on using the old sim, just leave it at that, or, if you have a new sim, copy the numbers from the old sim to the new phones memory, then switch the sim for the new one.

Andyman902042

Actually I would use a data transfer cable. Putting an old sim card in a new phone might not always work. First of all if you get a new phone from a different provider it might have a lock preventing you from using another sim card. Also putting a sim card in a new phone won't make it work right off the bat. The phones still have codes I forget exactly what they're called, like phone ID's and every time you make a call the phone company checks your ID and makes sure it's registered.

_slh_

hes getting a new phone, whats the point of shelling out money for a data cable if hes only going to use it once? Then hed have to buy a cable to fit the new phone as well to put the numbers back on it. Try switching the sims as described above, if that doesnt work then Id either pay for the necessary cables, or start writing them down.

OP
T

ToiletDuck

Where do i find this SIM chip at? I took the back off and all I could find to pop out was a battery.
Duck

Kendan

Senior Punk
Andyman902042 said:
Actually I would use a data transfer cable. Putting an old sim card in a new phone might not always work. First of all if you get a new phone from a different provider it might have a lock preventing you from using another sim card. Also putting a sim card in a new phone won't make it work right off the bat. The phones still have codes I forget exactly what they're called, like phone ID's and every time you make a call the phone company checks your ID and makes sure it's registered.

LMAO

most of the stuff you mention will not stop him from getting the numbers off the sim and moving them to the internal memory. The stuff you mention will just not let the phone make calls;)

ToiletDuck said:
Where do i find this SIM chip at? I took the back off and all I could find to pop out was a battery.
Duck

It should be under the battery. Some phone companies do not use the sim chip in which case you might not have one.

Andyman902042

Kendan said:
LMAO

most of the stuff you mention will not stop him from getting the numbers off the sim and moving them to the internal memory. The stuff you mention will just not let the phone make calls;)

Let me explain:
me said:
First of all if you get a new phone from a different provider it might have a lock preventing you from using another sim card
AFAIK the phone will not finish turning on if there is a lock. It will detect a sim card from a different provider and shut off.

me said:
Also putting a sim card in a new phone won't make it work right off the bat.
That was in response to this:
_slh_ said:
if youre planning on carrying on using the old sim, just leave it at that

I'm sorry, sometimes I worry about trying to correct others rather than answering the origional poster's question.

Kendan

Senior Punk
Andyman902042 said:
Let me explain:

AFAIK the phone will not finish turning on if there is a lock. It will detect a sim card from a different provider and shut off.

That was in response to this:

I'm sorry, sometimes I worry about trying to correct others rather than answering the origional poster's question.

but, where does he say he is switching providers?