• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

censorship?!!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illwillchill

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6028717.html

anyways, I'll summerize it for you guys that are too lazy to read it.

From Gamespot.com

The new law prohibits the sale of any games depicting violence against law-enforcement officials to anyone under the age of 17. If a retail outlet is caught in violation of the new law, it will be fined $500.

DISCUSS!

as for my opinion:

I'm embarassed to be a resident of Washington :rolleyes:

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Kinda like an R rated movie anyone under the age 17 shouldn't be around it. After all with games they have had the ratings for awhile and it's about time they stuck by them.

William

Prodigal Son Moderator
Good for Washington. If the parents want their kids playing those games, they can get them. Our society needs to do something to kick start parents into parenting again.

Neco

The problem with ESRB ratings is they are just that. Ratings.

There is no concrete law in effect that governs video games, that I am aware of. And until such a law DOES come into effect, children getting their hands on violent games will be a problem.

As for the keeping games where you shoot people, out of the hands of children issue. I know we see cops get shot or however get shot, in even PG movies. However more often than not, I'm willing to bet the level of detail in a video game far surpasses that of most movies out there.. So I don't think the question is, should this violence be restricted from children, it's more like...

"Should this level of detail concerning the offending act, be taken into account when selling games to children".

That's my take on it. I played Doom when I was a young kid, I never ran out and shot up my school or anything, and I'd like to consider myself a pretty decent person. I on the other hand, have always been pretty mature, in the sense that I understood what I was looking at was just a game.

Now we could argue about perception of reality all we want, but the fact of the matter is, young children; even into their teens are pretty impressionable. I can't help but worry that by allowing just about any kid to play games like GTA, or any games where you just blast and blast people to bits, especially authority figures is going to backfire on our society at some point.

Eventually, they're either going to grow up OR come to think that what the do in games is acceptabled behavoir (albeit conciously or subconciously) and go out and do something. I mean look at all the sex on TV. It's no wonder we got 12 years olds pumped up about sex, and second graders calling girls "*****" and all that stupid crap.

Before anyone goes ape****... I am not about oppressing children, and I certainly don't beleive in keeping kids protected from this and this and that and blah. However, I still think there needs to be some degree of moderation. I'm sure quite a few us of on the board have all had our fair share of rough spots during our childhoold or teen years, and likewise I think we all know that what we were exposed to back then, is probably a Barney the Dinosaur show, compared to what kids look at these days.

The only problem with protecting people by putting maturity ratings on games is - how do you know their maturity level?

I think there should be forms of prevention, but I think they should be working forms, not bull**** rating systems to shut up depraved housewives with too much time on their hands and nothing better to complain about.

GT2000

Yeah, heard about this on the radio earlier in the week, it's just something that should've been done a while ago, and Klownin is right, M rated game, R rated movie, both rated by the respective rating companies, games should be enforced like movies are when you're trying to purchase/rent/view them.

I mean, retailers are still going to sell to minors, but after they've realized they've just re-enacted a scene similar to the one in Clerks, I'm sure they'll think twice.

FrozenFears

Doh, I live in Washington... but I'm 21 so guess it doesn't really matter anymore lol, now my little bro is just gonna have to come to be and have me buy games for him.

I guess its a good idea in one aspect, but then again, has it ever been PROVED that games/video violence increases violence in real life? Sure you can easily make arguments for it, kids are influential, follow what they see etc. And then when bad things happen you can look for a game to blame like in the whole Columbine incident, it was DOOM that caused those kids to do what they did, yeah right....I play games when I'm stressed out, going online and fragging away can be a good way to get away from reality for a few mins. Thats how its been since I was 14 and I've turned out completely normal as have all of my friends. I guess its sorta hard to say though, cause yeah there are going to be those extreme caess where a young and influential kid gets ahold of a game and does get influenced by it, and maybe thats why the ratings are important. Cause while most of us are not going to go grab a sawed off shotgun (or make on since they are illegal), ratings/censorship are out there to protect those ones who might consider doing that.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
FrozenFears said:
not going to go grab a sawed off shotgun (or make on since they are illegal),.

Hate to say this but sawed off shotguns are not illegal. I happen to own a sawed off pistol grip shotgun that came from the factory like that. Anyways back to the subject at hand, I agree that they try to blame the way kids are now adays on games. I've been playing games since back in the Atari 2600 days and have never tried to shot anyone. However you do have kids who take their games, movies, and music alittle too far.

FrozenFears

oh about the shotgun comment, I am pretty sure its not legal to own one of those here in Washington, maybe gun laws differ between different states? But then again I could be wrong.

AC Slater

I think that this law stinks. Parents should know what their kids are doing, they shouldn't depend on our Police force to teach their kids what is right and wrong. I used to like Gov. Locke but now he just ****es me off. First the gas tax hike, then this, and then the no trapping of animals (this includes pests like Coyotes, ground hogs, etc.).

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
i see no problem with it as it stands. If they were to say no games depicting violence towards police PERIOD, then it would be a bad thing, but for those under 17 i see no problem with it. It really is no difference than not letting under 17s see R rated movies.

TUK101

I hate to admit it, but there does need to be some sort of "enforced" regulation on games. I have a 10 year old son and he would love to get his hands on my GTA III or Vice City games, but to me they are just a bit too extreme for his age and I would really like for him to get a grasp on reality a bit more before he starts playing games like that. Him and I talk about the game, and he does watch me play it sometimes but I am always letting him know that this sort of thing is just a game and that you should in no way try to copy the things that are going on in the game. Its the same with movies, you have to guide your kids through them sometimes. I agree that maybe some parents do need a swift kick in the *** and need to be held accountable. Kids arent born knowing the differences between right and wrong, it is up to the parents and other influencial people in the kids lives to teach them these things. ;) So I guess that my take on this whole thing is that I hate the idea of regulation of anything, in my opinion any time that you turn something over to the government they flock it all up. But parents do need some sort of a guide to know how rude or crude that a game really is before they allow thier kid to get the game.

Banyan

censorship, patriot act, and the possible patriot act #2 and even john ashcroft and i almost forgot mrs. gore is all complete bullsh#t (and unlike any dissenters out there, they are un-American)!!!!!!!

moms and dads out there, it is YOUR job to mind after your kids... not ours.

Cowboy X

Firstly I totally agree with the law . it is about time that games get in line . I see alot of people with their hands up protesting ( figuratively ) but this is not new ! It is no different from the laws regulating movies , television , radio or any other form of media including print . Game companies gave games ratings, but for several years have purposely avoided enforcing them . They know that many children but these games and their parents have no idea of the profanity , violence , adult situations or even nudity which these games posses . There are many parents who wouldn't allow their child to watch movies rated R for violence but imagine if they saw what was in the same child's Soldier Of Fortune game ! The companies know this and therefore are defending their 'constitutional rights' just like the tobacco and alcohol industries .

AC Slater said:
I think that this law stinks. Parents should know what their kids are doing, they shouldn't depend on our Police force to teach their kids what is right and wrong. I used to like Gov. Locke but now he just ****es me off. First the gas tax hike, then this, and then the no trapping of animals (this includes pests like Coyotes, ground hogs, etc.).

The sad thing is not that the law stinks , but that parents and society stink ! That is exactly why governments the world over have to pass laws like these . It is sadly the minority of parents who actually know what their children are doing , especially regarding computer games . There is unfortunately also a growing group that don't check/don't care and of course the bunch who willfully condone such .

Some may come and argue that it is a parent's right to do as he/she pleases with his/her child , while that is true , it is also the government's responsibility to protect and preserve society even if from itself . Furthermore the majority of criminals especially the violent ones come from homes where there is little supervision , rules morals and love . These guys hardly ever rape murder and maim the parents that neglected them ( i know they do kill a few parents every year ) but they attack both the innocent and those who turned a blind eye to their well being because 'it wasn't my child ' .

TUK101

Another point that I sort of hit on in my post above, that I would like to hit on a bit more is that most parents arent hardcore gamers like most of us here. Therefore they are not aware of how freaking gruesome and on the edge games like Vice City and some of these fps games are getting. An unknowing parent will just look at the box and think "well I guess that doesnt look too bad" while the kid is sitting there begging moms or dads to buy this cool new game that Johnnies mom down the street just bought him. With an enforced rating system at the very least mom might be able to look at that and say "well maybe you arent quite old enough yet for this game". An enforced rating system might also prevent Jr. from purchasing games without mom&dad's consent that mom&dad otherwise wouldnt allow. Believe me, I hate regulation with a passion, but I think that a ratings system on games is a no brainer. Now if I was under 18 I might have a different take on it, but that is what an enforced ratings system is meant to do, keep over-violent games out of minors hands.

Banyan

i am not a father, and never plan to be one, but i think i would take the time out of my "personal" life and put a little effort into understanding and knowing what my kids are into...

if people absolutely feel the need to have a kid, and it usually doesn't end at just one (hence we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 billion or more people on the planet :rolleyes: and counting), and because of their failure in keeping an eye on them (ie give them money they spend any way they see fit or buy them things without looking at it), the absolute farthest this should be taken should be enforcement at the checkout counter in a retail store. a 15 year old male has a pretty good idea that the world isn't sesame street, so by playing these games it should have no effect on him as a person, that is, if he is of sound mind ;)... if you disagree with this then you must agree that listening to music such as black sabbath might make you run out and kill yourself. and for all the other kids out there, how are they getting in to these movies they shouldn't be seeing, how are they getting these games, how are they listening to that inappropriate music? their parents are giving them the money to... go figure.

i think they instead should start regulating who has kids... make them get a license. i mean, think about it, you have to get a license to get married, but you can go and create a life and be completely irresponsible.:rolleyes: same thing should go for pets...

this thread should probably be moved to the debates or general
chat...

*ps - last time i looked, on cd's and games alike, i see ratings that give a (me at least i read them) good idea on the contents.

Last edited:

Neco

I guess its a good idea in one aspect, but then again, has it ever been PROVED that games/video violence increases violence in real life?

JACKASS

And while that may be strictly a TV show and a movie or whatever, the base concept is the same. Kids see something they like and want to emulate it.

and I'm sorry everyone but what we watch and play when we are childrne DOES have an impact on who we are. Some poeple turn out O.K, because

A. They realize on their own this is not the way people should act.
or
B. A parent (what the **** are those??) helps explain to them why games and movies are different, and keeps watch over them.

Then you have folks who take it too far and to the point where they start getting fascinated with it. BUlly took your lunch money? sock him in the nutts, or blow his head off or something.

I won't go on with a million examples, but I guess something I should have mentioned in my original post is this.

THe violent movies, the games, the explicit lyrics in a lout of youth music today, it's ALL part of the problem. However it is a SMALL part of the problem. The problem with these things, is more often than not - they are marketted to children.

Some folks have got it right, the big problem is parents. We've got a buncha 2 bit drug dealers running around breeding lick cockroaches, or people having children that just shouldn't be allowed to. They make no concious effort to raise their children, stick them infront of the TV, parents teaching their kids to hate other people etc..

Then I think we should also look at the history of the country. It's run by OLD people for crying out loud. I'm pretty sure we all have our own favorite decades for music and movies, and whatnot. We've all got our own ideas of what is moral, or proper etc..

So do these guys. But the older you get, the more entrenched in your ideas you become on the whole. There are probably a handful of politicians that could actually swing with the times.. The rest of them probably still think it's freaking 1955 or something.

But once again, it does all come down to parenting. Laws like this are quite necesarry, because of deadbeat parents

Last edited:

TollPhree

Why should the store be fined? The parents who arn't doing there job should be put in jail. It makes me very sick to see all these parents aginst vidoe games. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT Dont let your kid play it. Man My mom didnt let me go see R, sure once in awhile I could trick a friends parent into doing it. but I mean even then I would get caught get in trouble. Parents need start doing there jobs instead being so dam lazzy and expecting eveyrone else to rasie them. I personly get really mad becasue I work in a restraunt I see parent let kids run around and GOD HELP ME if I tell them to keep kids at there table. They start yell about how this and that.. I won't go into it but Ive goten dam mad befor. and if I wasnt at postion I was in I think I would of been fired for what I said.

TO shorten it all.
PLEASE JUST Pay attention to you kids. BWT I think nothing wrong wtih viloent games. Fact is At young age I played all these games, didnt effect me at all. I acually hate fighting. I think the reviews/polls showing it makes kids more viloent are bysit.

OF corse you cant wacht ur kid 24/7 but its not hard to ask your kid whats going on , and isntall some simple programs to wacht what there doing on computer. I know lots of parents who dont even know how work the computer. god only knows whats on thoes computers. .. whatever