• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Centrino Cruncher?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SemiCycle

Anyone had a chance to use a Centrino laptop as a cruncher. I'm interested in how long it takes to complete a WU. All that Cache has should help some......I guess.

Greg M

I've got a 1.6GHz Dell D600 on the way.:drool: I'll bench the 1.4 Compaq before I send it back.

The biggest benefit is the Pentium M architecture. It's way more efficient than the P4, so the difference isn't just 2x cache.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
Mictlan said:
If someone can get me a good Centrino laptop for less than $100 with shipping to Mexico included, I'll jump in to the deal :D
i would take a 1.6 P-M even for $1000!!!

$100?! i'll selling out all my crunchers and get a bunch of these!!! :D

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
What if you could get as big an overclock outta the pentium m's as the p4's

if a 1.4 runs like a 2.53
then
a 2.4 pentium M would run like a 4.33 p4 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :SNARK :^_^ :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

I SPARED YOU ALL FROM MY EXCESSIVE DROOLING SO YOU SHOULD THANK ME:D

:EDIT: Is this a vbulletin glitch -->...?

Last edited:

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
TC said:
Too much drool code for VB to process ;)

If you look closely I took all the :'s OFF the ends of each drool

:What :I'm :talkin :about :is :the :words :not :wrapping :around :like :they :are :supposed :to :I :think :it :has :something :to :do :with :the :colons :in :front :0f :the :words.

:D sorry I haven't drooled that much since I saw that 5 GALLON bucket of KFC GOLDEN BROWN EXTRA CRISPY CHICKEN. MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....:rolleyes:

OP
SemiCycle

SemiCycle

ozzlo said:
What if you could get as big an overclock outta the pentium m's as the p4's

if a 1.4 runs like a 2.53
then
a 2.4 pentium M would run like a 4.33 p4 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :SNARK :^_^ :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

I SPARED YOU ALL FROM MY EXCESSIVE DROOLING SO YOU SHOULD THANK ME:D

:EDIT: Is this a vbulletin glitch -->...?

Aren't the current centrino chips .13 micron. Who knows what is possible when the proces is switched to .09

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I bet you could get a 1.6 gig piece to 2 with a vapochill, but the only problem is there aren't any desktop boards for them.

Norrko

TC said:
I bet you could get a 1.6 gig piece to 2 with a vapochill, but the only problem is there aren't any desktop boards for them.

But you could use a vapochill on them if you are a little handy... but it would be a trucktop then as the weight would be around 25 Kilo... ;)

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Greg M said:
Why Intel doesn't use this core for desktops or high density servers is beyond me...
Give me a break Greg - that would make too much sense for them :D

OP
SemiCycle

SemiCycle

Intel can't do it. Even though they know they have a great performer, they have already invested hundreds of millions of dollars into the development and advertisment of the P4 design. They can't stick thier foot in their month now and start saying the Centrino is better now can they?

I guess it all comes back down to that double edged sword called the "Mhz Myth"

I've seen tons many normall consumers laugh when they hear the speed of the Centrino CPU. They just don't understand how something running at such a "slow" speed can give such big performance.