• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Certification to repair computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skab

Stopped in at Radio Shack to pick up some parts and the owner wanted to talk about subing me some repair and custom building work. He was talking about being certified to do repairs and then talking about 22bucks an hour which is pretty good cash around here. Anybody know what kind of certification he would be talking about? I'm still running off of my militray electronics from twenty-five years ago when digital was a single transistor and we replaced bad transistors one at a time. Not to say I don't know how to build systems but that is the extent of my formal education in computers. Would be nice part time job in the winter if could do it. Anyone know any online classes?

nealric

22 an hour is way more than you could ever get just doing repairs. I have A+ certification and am currently lookin for a job.

I will consider myself lucky if i can make even $8.00/hr

OP
skab

skab

I run a road construction crew right now and make about 15 an hour so if they can't beat that then thy'll still be looking! Actually the guy said 22 an hour but I think the problem he's got is not enough to keep somebody busy fulltime. But if it was enough to pay for the cost of the certs I would definitly give it a shot. The market should pick up pretty soon I would think.
I suppose A+ to start for repairs then huh?

Banyan

A+ wont get you much, but it is a start.

I'm through with the computer industry as a career... that is, unless I can get in with a major game developer.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Just started classes for the A+ cert this month myself. Just started the 2nd module of DOS, leading to the 9x platform.

I can't wait to finish this...the hardware modules (two of them) follow the DOS stuff. :) Then it's on to Win2K and beyond.

I don't know how much longer my back is gonna hold out doing auto repair....I'd like to switch fields before my body forces me to... :rolleyes: :(

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
He is most likely talking A+, which is a general computer tech cert. Mr B should be able to pass it in his sleep.

Each manufacturor also has a cert for their equipment. I have an expired DCSE, a Dell cert. The big thing with those certs it they let you order parts with no hassle.