• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech 7aiv5, 1.4GHz AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gibbo1

Hi list. First post so here goes.

I have a Chaintech 7aiv5, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, MAXTOR 5400 40G HDD, 1.4GHz 266* AMD Athlon CPU, W2000 + SP3

I cant get the CPU to run at 11xmultiplier. If I slow it down to 1.0 GHz the system boots but after a week or so seems to start "losing" files in winnt and system32 for no reason. There is nothing wrong with the disk (had it in other PC for months)

If I build it at 1.0GHz and then step up the speed the operating system disappears and I cant boot up. Once this happens, even slowing down to 1.0GHz doesnt fix it - the only fix is to rebuild again.

Anyone got any ideas whats going on and more importantly how to fix it :)

Thanks, Stephen

Firstly, Welcome to the forums:beer:

The first question that comes to mind is, How are you cooling that chip? That's a very hot running processor, make sure you get a decent heatsink on there and some Arctic Silver.

Thx for the reply,
Standard fan assisted CPU heatsink, temperature from the BIOS is 54degC, which isnt too hot (or is it ???), System temp is 37degC

That is pretty hot, and its gonna be a little bit hotter when you try to run it at 1.4 ghz. I would definitely pick up a decent heatsink, and for sure some arctic silver. If you're using the retail heatsink, I'm guessing you're also just using that little pink pad that came attached to it... that thing is bad news. Check here for a chart of heatsinks and reviews for each of them. If you need help deciding, search the forums, there are tons of threads about heatsinks in the cooling section.

Then, there's case cooling. 37C is pretty high for your case. Make sure you have, as a minimum, a fan in the bottom front and one in the rear. Bigger the better (whatever fits), bigger = less noise. To give you an idea, my case is 21C as I type, and the room is maybe a degree or 2 less than that. Try to get as close as possible to room temp.

As far as the computer losing files, I don't really see how that could be related to heat, but you have to start somewhere. Good luck, and dont be afraid to ask us anything if you run into problems:beer:

Back