• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chairs... why is it so hard to find the right chair ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Ive gone through 3 chairs now... Maybe im being picky but here is the issue. I still have the 3 but im about to return them.

The first chair i got was on amazon. This chair, I dont care about the "gaming" tag but that most of the reviews were positive on it being comfortable, i liked the green on it and i liked that it had fold up arms because my original chair im getting rid of couldnt slide under my desk which took up alot of room in my bedroom. I got the chair it had 0 smell to it which was great, looked good, and was easy to put together.. Immediatly sitting in it i loved it. was comfy and the back support was great and its just tall enough on the back where my head can rest on it. Also the chair isnt too tall so i can slide my desks slide out and it doesnt rest on my legs. You know the slider thing where the keyboard and mouse go on that slides out and back under the desk. It was the perfect height so that sliding board doesnt rest on my legs and also my arms can rest on the arm rests at an even level with the keyboard and mouse which is very important when gaming. You dont want you elbows and arms to droop down below your keyboard and mouse.

However.. The downsides were the green mesh.. I can feel the mesh on my arms and elbows and its itchy. And the padding is pretty bad, its like some cheap 2 inch thick memory foam and after 1-2 hours my butt starts to feel it as i can feel the bottom almost. I can actually grab the cushoin with 1 hand pinching it on the end and my thumb can reach the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1E96WX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So i purchased another Gaming chair,

but its arms arent folding.. instead they raise up and down and it has that lumbar lower back support pillow that can adjust up or down and a pillow for the head or neck. Its feels great, but sadly the arm rests dont go down enough so i cant slide the chair under my desk and again the padding is pretty thin on the butt and the padding on the back is flat.. It has lumbar support and neck support but the middle of my back is arching outward and i feel like my back is a U shape due to these pillows... I really want a chair that will slide under my desk my room is cramped with a bed, desk, two night stands 20 lava lamps all over and a 135g 6 foot long fish tank and the extra walking room by having the chair outa the way is important. Also the fake leather on this chair is that really crappy fake leather like headphones have which flake apart in no time

https://www.amazon.com/HappyGame-Ov..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Q3SC5CTQGJHQG69R7FNT

I decided to go into local stores and actually sit in chairs. This is why i hate shopping online how big box stores and everything are going out business or how video games are digital downloads ect.. You cant physically feel and see what youre buying.. I have to guess.

I went to three stores and i finally found a chair that felt good. I sat in the chairs for hours in the stores so i could get a good long term feel for them.

I purchased this one, It has the arms that fold up, the leather is fake like every chair but its the really good vinyl/leather that lasts for a long time i can tell by just touching it each fake leather has that feel to it and you can tell which one is junk and which isnt. The padding is suuper supportive and soft. It has like a coil spring foam materical.. not actual metal springs but something about the foam is springy and thats what they advertise it as. Its breathable with the mesh sections you see in the pics and to bottom out on the seat i had to put my fist on it and push down with my body weight really hard to reach the bottom. Sitting in it for like 45 min it felt right as well. The only downside is the head support is like 4 inches too short i can still rest my head but not like the other two seats.

Also when i put it at my desk and started to get a feel for it with the desk, the chair is too tall when i slide out the keyboard/mouse slide my upper legs are rubbing it. Litterally the slide is resting on my crotch and because of this i cant lean the chair back and lay back as my legs will just lift the slide way up and itll fall off the hinges.. The first chair is low enough so it doesnt touch my legs even when i lean back .... Also i noticed one side is half an inch higher then the other side. The arm rests i mean. You can visually see it and i measured it and i can feel it when gaming using wsda keys and the other hand on the mouse. Also since the chair is higher up while my elbows and shoulders can rest evenly with the keyboard and mouse, my hands are actually sitting an inch lower it feels like.. So when i type and so forth that extra inch makes my shoulder sockets feel extended. Its the same effect if the chair is too low just the other way around.. Am i making sense ?

https://www.staples.com/bristol-executive-chair-gray/product_24297777

I guess im being really picky but i dont like being uncomfortable.. The first chair is perfect for height all around, the back support and head rest support is perfect. But the mesh is itchy and the butt padding is like non existant.. The 2nd chair i cant slide under the desk.. and the pillows make my back feel like being forced into a U shape like my being bent in the center and that fake leather is headphone leather which falls apart in months. 3rd chair is perfect for padding comfort, but its overall too high as the keyboard/mouse slide is resting on my upper thighs and crotch litterally its pressing up against my D.. And its uneven 1/2 higher on one side..

I dunno, what would you guys do ? Im thinking of just keeping the first chair but if having it for less than a week and my butt hurts already and the bad reviews stating it goes flat in a month.. that makes me go eh... So im not sure what to do.. I also like the 3rd because its softer.. but the height is eh and the uneven arms

Last edited:
There are certain things I do not order online. A chair is certainly one of those things. Clothes, shoes, etc... anything that needs fitted or should be comfortable that I have not tried out I go in-store and check/feel it for myself, then order online if the brick and mortar does not price match.

No idea what you should do about your chairs. Its your arse and being comfortable man, not ours. :)

Yea i told my friend i didnt wanna order chairs online but hes like you gatta get this one ect.. lol and frankly staples and office depot have a **** poor selection of chairs..

I mean wouldnt it bother you if a chair was too high so the keyboard slider is resting on your upper thighs you cant even lean the chair back without having to push the slide in. The first chair i can lean the seat back sit normally and my legs still dont touch the slide.. And the arms are still perfectly even with the slide for gaming. But the damn seat.. if it was only softer.. Uhg its so hard to decide lol

I almost feel like putting 2x4's under my desk to raise it up so my 3rd chair wont be so high, but that uneven arm thing is bugging me.. 1/2 inch may not seem like alot in writing but im sure you could imagine feeling it right ?

Should've stuck to your guns ;). If the friend had it, I would have sat in it before ordering it.... or looked online for a B&M with one if he didn't.

It happens. But now you know... don't buy a chair unless you test it first!

Yes, it can be a pain (literally and figuratively) to find the right chair. Been there done that. Clothes and shoes are another story. I just order something from Amazon and if it doesn't fit I send it back and reorder. Through trial and error I have found jeans and shoes that work for me and I just reorder the same item when I need them again. That is, if they still offer the same item. Clothing and shoe companies change their product lines pretty often.

I hate trying on clothes in a store about as much as I hate a toothache . . . much to my wife's consternation.

LOL im the same way i hate trying on clothing in stores..

This chair thing is bugging me.. 1/2 inch uneven arm rests on the 3rd chair is killing my ocd.. The thin butt padding on the first is killing my butt. Earthdog all we have is staples and office depot here for desk chairs. Microcenter has chairs.. bolted the CEILING ! so i cant even try those LOL.

Looks like ima have to keep buying and returning chairs until i find a good one

I feel for you! I'm no stranger to bad online purchases -- even with furniture -- I have a few pieces sitting around right now that I thought looked good online but are totally wrong for the space I was thinking of. Consider it a lesson learned! My advice for furniture, whether looking for a gaming chair or otherwise; go to a real furniture store, not HD, Staples, Office Max, etc.. even if it means driving a few hours.

Be prepared to spend a chunk of money... If you think about it -- you're about to spend a long portion of your life sitting in that thing - it's worth the investing your time and a bit of money into a proper supportive chair that fits your space. You'll find one, just need to do some digging and hang with it.

Good luck in your hunt!

LOL im the same way i hate trying on clothing in stores..

This chair thing is bugging me.. 1/2 inch uneven arm rests on the 3rd chair is killing my ocd.. The thin butt padding on the first is killing my butt. Earthdog all we have is staples and office depot here for desk chairs. Microcenter has chairs.. bolted the CEILING ! so i cant even try those LOL.

Looks like ima have to keep buying and returning chairs until i find a good one
Same here... no issues in finding one with the shops I have around me (same as you).

GL! :)

The whole ergonomics of a chair would prevent me from buying online. I once listened to an interview with a person who studies ergonomics. (An ergomomisist?)

The question was: What is the most comfortable position for a person to be in?

The answer: The next one.

Still colors my world today.

A chair is better purchased where it can be seen, touched and tried on for comfort and function. We're hunting for a chair for my wife, didn't find any at Staples but I'm thinking Best Buy would have 'some' in-store, hopefully.

Herman Miller Aeron /thread

+1, I have one in my home office (I work from home most days) and it is the best chair that i've owned. Picked it up on CL for around $250. New you're looking at $700-800+ depending on model/accessories.

+1, I have one in my home office (I work from home most days) and it is the best chair that i've owned. Picked it up on CL for around $250. New you're looking at $700-800+ depending on model/accessories.

Herman Miller Aeron is a good one, and for those that don't care for the Aeron they tend to like the Steelcase Leap V2. Both the Aeron and Leap v2 can be picked up from Madison-Seating with 10year warranty cheaper than purchasing new as they buy refurbs, fix them, then resell them.

The issue you have is that you were looking at "gaming" chairs.

The issue you have is that you were looking at "gaming" chairs.

That’s definitely the issue. “Gaming” chairs for some unknown reason are often styled like a car seat. Which has side bolsters etc to keep you comfortable when cornering etc. You don’t need those when gaming, if anything they’re a hinderance.

Office chairs are designed to keep people comfortable all day long and are often a better bet.

the best office chair i ever had the joy of using was at work 15 or 20 years ago. the co i worked for had a person that came in and measured you from head to toe, arms legs back hips everything. then two weeks later the perfect office chair appeared next to my desk. the first time i sat in it i almost fell asleep. i cant for the life of me remember the name of that company. oh and i found out later that those chairs ran into the thousands on average.
so anyhow see if you can find someone to build you one.

Yes chairs can to a total pain in the arse. I've gone through a few office chairs at home over the years, and while seem comfortable at the time after using it, it becomes less so.
Sadly best bet is to at very least try in a store anywhere that you can, unless they offer free shipping/returns. Even then its a pain since if you have to return it you have to disassemble the chair.

Though ones I seem to like are full mesh style chairs, very comfortable for me for the time I sit in front of the PC here at work. Though the chair if I did get it outright is $600+ range. Now with that I got a decent non-mesh one at home now than I have had in the past that I got at Costco for around $100. I can work with it for hours at a time if needed but its not as comfortable / supporting as the office one.

Only thing I can say is don't go cheap on them if you plan on using it for hours during the day and several days of the week. Cheap either will hurt you physically or the material wears down/chair breaks to quickly.

That’s definitely the issue. “Gaming” chairs for some unknown reason are often styled like a car seat. Which has side bolsters etc to keep you comfortable when cornering etc. You don’t need those when gaming

Gaming chairs are for games that keep you on the edge of your seat. Side bolsters are to keep you from falling. They're designed to keep you uncomfortable because quite honest, crawling through the trenches with a mosin rifle during wwII was never comfortable to begin with.

I would just settle for a chair from Sam's club.

Back