Change ratio on Apollo lake soc and intel HD500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kazar

Hi, everybody i don't know if this is the correct subforum but under vga forum i can see only amd and nvidea :)
I did some test on my apollo lake n3450 processor, after changed tdp from 6W to 15W and setting gpu high performance, i saw my gpu hd500 at 700mhz but only when cpu is not full stressed. Reading datasheet the ia choose when is better to reduce gpu clock.
After installed the newer driver release 02/13/2018, with description better battery life and a new game section, i saw that aida stress test doesn't bring more the gpu at 700 but only at 450mhz(reinstalling the older one all returns normal)...so the newer driver package manages the gpu ratio.
Reading always the datasheet i saw that GT Power managment quality p-state is RW but i don't know how to find offset in memory with rweverything. Any one can help me?
Immagine.png
Sorry for my english

Datasheet reports GT Hardware P-state Control Request (P_CR_GT_HWP_REQ_0_2_0_GTTMMADR):
-MEM register 32bit offset 8068h but if i use rweverything->memory->address i can see too many results
2.png

Last edited:

Kazar

Hi,thanks for your answer but i'm looking for how to remove gpu mhz underclock under heavy cpu stress.(base vram,and aperture vram are editable)

Alaric

Ahh, I misunderstood the question. My apologies. The only option I can think of is raise the VAXG LLC in the BIOS to High, making sure the load on CPU and iGPU doesn't sacrifice the graphics clock. What benchmark are you running in Aida? I only have the trial version that benches CPU and memory. My graphics card can't be benched in Aida. For that I use Unigine Heaven, Catzilla, or Cinebench has a GPU benchmark.

Kazar

I'm using aida stress test(only gpu stress) and hwinfo to see mhz. For bench used cinebench, old 3dmark and mixed program like pcmark and pass mark,fraps to see fps...but i not need benchmarks to see benefits in gaming about 35% faster in all tasks.
There is no way to edit GT P-state from windows? I will look for Vaxg in bios but i need something that edits onfly in windows (i have a laptop and i usually want to preserve battery)

Kazar

Thank you for your answer. I'm still looking for how to access to GT P-unit register (intel datasheet for Apollo Lake and under chapter P-unit, I've noticed that is possible to read\write the ratio power of GPU (RW), page 1864 volume2)
GT Hardware P-state control request is located MEM register 32bit offset 8068h (P_CR_GT_HWP_REQ_0_2_0_GTTMMADR)
and 7-0bit are RW and include Quality of service P-state: the gt driver programs this to definite a desidered performance floor. This floor is useful as a hint to power and thermal control algorithms to balance system resources appropriately in order to ensure a minimum graphics performance floor. Described in 16.67MHz reference clock units,e.g. a ratio of 24 results in a clock frequency of 400MHz.
Does any know how to access to this memory part? I'm using Rweverything program but i can understand how to insert the correct address.
I belive should calculate address mixing my data,like reported in other intel document, where Memory address is given by PCI Express Configuration Register (ex. F0000000h)+ Bus Number (ex.15h)+ Device Number(ex.00h)+ Function Number (ex.05h)+ Register Offset (ex.84h)...total memory address F1505084h.
So if VGA is Bus 00, Device 02, Function 00 how can access to MEM register?
vga.png

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel

Hey Kazar, this is a question that most users at this forum do not run into. Let me see if I can't help.

First off, where did you get AP's datasheets? Intel usually has all their documents under Confidentiality Agreements.

Where are you reading the register bits from? Are you using a bus sniffer or just editing one of the BIOS?

Kazar

Downloaded from Intel Techinical Library (some document is private). Anyway is possible to download datasheet for CPU N and J Celeron released in Sept 2016 (there is also only N CPU datasheet but it is older).
Volume 1l
VOLUME 2 is actually OFFLINE (where i'm looking for GPU multipler), i don't know why. Anyway HERE my copy (it is not confidential)
Volume 3

Reading Volume 2 there is P-unit Section, from page 1861 (another rw value at 1880 where is indicated Minimum IA Core Freq allowed by the graphics driver)
Thank you for your help

Alaric: some old intel gpus were downlocked by default,for reduce power consumption and firstly for commercial benefits, with a simple RWcommand you could restore normal frequency (usually around F0 register in VGA register).Now, i have bought this new entry level laptop and I saw that GPU Frequency isn't fixed but it can change following a read\write ratio,for intel range is 200-700 but in real it doesn't go down 400Mhz with stock 6W TDP. So i I'm trying to remove this limit to get full power from the gpu when I set maximum tdp on my laptop (temperature are under 80°C with a Tj105° under fullstress).

Dolk

Kazar, so how are you editing these register bits? Typically these bits are set at startup due to BIOS or a CPLD.

From my experience working with Apollo Lakes, you have to do this in BIOS which won't be easy. A lot of these SoCs use encrypted BIOS, so you need the key in order to do any long term modifications to the BIOS.

Kazar

I'm only testing under windows. Bios gpu settings are enabled but don't change mhz or multipler. I'm still reading these datasheets because there are several informations. create a custom bios is possible but it's more complicated and i'm looking for an onfly solution from windows with rweverything. I don't know if it is possible but i suppose yes because gpu driver changes multipler

Dolk

Like I said, you will not be able to edit the BIOS that is saved in the chip. It is most likely encrypted and so unable to be tampered with. Furthermore, there are certification packages between Apallo Lakes and BIOS chips. If the BIOS is encrypted than the BIOS chip is locked to that specific CPU. You will not be able to tamper, or add in your own hacked BIOS without generating the correct certificate.

Alaric

where Memory address is given by PCI Express Configuration Register (ex. F0000000h)+ Bus Number (ex.15h)+ Device Number(ex.00h)+ Function Number (ex.05h)+ Register Offset (ex.84h)...total memory address F1505084h.
So if VGA is Bus 00, Device 02, Function 00 how can access to MEM register?

I'm only testing under windows.

I'm just trying trying to keep up with the goal here, but are we looking for a way to access Mem Rings via the VGA controller?

Kazar

Aim is to get correct address for GT Hardware P-state Control Request (P_CR_GT_HWP_REQ_0_2_0_GTTMMADR):
-MEM register 32bit offset 8068h
Should be vga mem 0_2_0 is bus 00, device 02, function 00 (intel vga pcie)