• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed GPU to different PCI slot, no sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkpyro1

Hey, so I know this isn't completely sound, but I felt like it fits this category best. Essentially, I've been having problems with my graphics lately, and I'd heard you can sometimes fix it by changing PCI slots. So, I tried this, and as far as I can tell, it fixed the graphic problem - I can get more into the graphic problem if need be.
Unfortunately, after I moved the card to a different slot, my sound doesn't work. It won't play through speakers, or headset. Headset you can hear your voice when you talk into it, and the speakers still hiss when turned all the way up, as well as they kind of pop (the kind of pop that you hear when you plug and unplug headphones into the audio jack), at a very specific pace - [pop] [short pause] [pop] [long pause] [pop] [short pause] [pop], or pop pop, pause, pop pop.
I've seen a couple suggested fixes for this problem. First, go to control panel, sound and make sure that it isn't set to AMD (or ATI) HDMI Output, and that it is set to Sound Card (or Speakers). Everything is in order there. It was never changed from "Speakers" which is the input it is normally set to.
Second fix is go into BIOS and enable the onboard audio device. Unfortunately, I can't find anything about this. In ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility, I go to "advanced mode", then the "advanced" tab, then "onboard devices configuration".
Inside that you have:

VIA 1394 Controller [enabled]
JMB Storage Controller [enabled]
JMB Storage OPROM [enabled]
Display OptionRom in POST [enabled]
Asmedia USB 3.0 Controller [enabled]
Asmedia USB 3.0 Battery Charging Support [disabled]
Realtek LAN Controller [enabled]
Realtek PXE OPROM [disabled]
S3 Video Deposit [disabled]

Then below that I have two menu options:
Serial Port Configuration
SB HD Azalia Configuration

In Serial Port Configuration:
Serial Port [enabled]
Change settings [I0=3F8h; IRQ =4]

In SB HD Azalia Configuration:
HD Audio Azalia Device [enabled]
Azalia Front Panel [HD]
SPDIF Out Type [SPDIF]

And now I'm actually having even more problems with the sound. Instead of my computer constantly saying that it's going through the speakers, now it's changing (again, at specific intervals [seemingly the same intervals as the popping sound I mentioned previously]) between being set to speakers, and saying the speakers aren't plugged in.

If anyone has any idea about this, the help would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know if you need any more information, or any screenshots, pics, etc. Thanks.

OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

Correct. My card doesn't have an HDMI output, nor does my motherboard. And I only just now made the connection that its a bit weird that HDMI is an option in my sound menu, even though I have no physical HDMI port.

Corrextion: I may have (kind of) an HDMI output. The GPU is hooked up to a TV, through the card's DVI port. The cable is hooked up to the TV's HDMI port. I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable for my video.

Last edited:
OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

UPDATE: I've tried switching back to the PCI slot the GPU was originally in before these problems, and I can't actually see if my sound works, because before I can login to Windows (I have Win8 if that information can be of use) I get a "VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL" error.

And every time I switch PCI slots, Windows updates, which is something it never used to do to me. I forgot to mention that before.

Also, it's no longer switching between enabled and unplugged for my speakers. It's just always saying unplugged now.

Last edited:

pigpottomus

So you have a dvi to hdmi adapter, it could just because it thinks it's HDMI output, Did you try to disable the HDMI Sound output? I remember something like this happening to me, but i had an dvi to hdmi converter, then plugged via HDMI cable. Is the speakers plugged in through the front? or back?

OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

I have tried disabling the AMD HDMI Output, and unfortunately it doesn't help. And now I doubt it would work anyway, because it doesn't recognize that my speakers are even plugged in. Also, I have the speakers plugged in through the back. I haven't actually tried through the front, but I guess I could make sure.

Lastly, I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but I'll give it another go. Hopefully it'll help.

Thanks both of you for the responses. This has been driving me crazy, the last couple days.

UPDATE:
Just tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the drivers. Still did nothing. So I tried plugging the speakers in through the front, rather than through the back. It also didn't help. Curiously though, when I plug them in through the front, I get a lot of noise - and not just normal noise. I get a lot of what sounds vaguely like wind.

Also, AMD HDMI Output has now decided to follow the footsteps of my speakers, and changed its status to "Not plugged in". I am now left with "Realtek Digital Output", and "Realtek Digital Output(Optical)" - both of which I have enabled, disabled, and tried every combination of enabling and disabling.

Last edited:

pigpottomus

Hmmm... That's weird. You could try to disable the whole sound system?? It just happend to my brothers computer last night. I just disabled it through the sound manager i believe, clicked on the volume icon again and it detected problem, went through the solutions, gave me 2 options, it was either through the sound card or mobo sound, chose the sound card and it worked. You could try that out? Even though your using the Motherboard sound.

OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

Ok, I'm gonna post a few pics of what I've got, down below.

I tried disabling the whole sound system - through "Sound [playback]" - and I left clicked the sound icon (Which is at the present, the "problem with sound" icon). That brought me that troubleshooter you were talking about. It said "Plug in the speaker, headset or headphone" I clicked next. It took me to the "Troubleshooting has completed" screen, and said "problems found: [The speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged - Not fixed] [Audio device is disabled - fixed]"

And still nothing is actually fixed, because it doesn't recognize that my speakers are plugged in.

I've got all the attachments on this for anyone to check out.
Thanks for all the help, thus far. Hopefully this can get fixed soon, before I go crazy.

Attachments

• Playback Half Disabled.png
    Playback Half Disabled.png
    26 KB · Views: 123
  • Playback all disabled.png
    Playback all disabled.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Sound Bad.png
    Sound Bad.png
    602 bytes · Views: 156
  • Troubleshooting Completed.png
    Troubleshooting Completed.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Windows Solution.png
    Windows Solution.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 119
OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

Just realized, it uploaded a bit out of order - The bottom 2 images should be switched, and that will be in order.

OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

Don't you need to have created a sys restore point previously? I haven't made a sys restore point. I just upgraded to Win8, and I haven't gotten around to it.

UPDATE: Tried a restore, but my last restore point was the 17th, which is a day before I posted this thread, and I think I posted this the day after it happened. So this - my only restore point option - very well might be after it was already done. I'll go for it anyways, and hope that it was before, and I'll post back on it afterwards.

Last edited:

pigpottomus

It could just be the speakers itself? Like my speakers if they weren't plugged into the power outlet, i don't think they'll work and probably show something like the problem your having.

Well i just tried to see if the problem showed up with it unplugged through the outlet, nothing happens just no sound. But it could just be you're speakers. Have you tried them on something else? or with different headphones/speakers in your ports?

OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

I have. I've tried plugging in my headset to the rear and front ports, the same effects that I described it doing for each port with the speaker occur. I've also plugged both my headset and my speakers into my phone, and they both play sound perfectly fine. And the speakers are plugged in - just for the extra information.

Also, I tried to run the sys restore, and it said there were some possibly corrupt files on the drive? And it asked if I wanted to repair, and I had it repair them, them once it was satisfied enough to actually run the sys restore, I tried but got this error when it restarted.

Attachments

• Sys Restore.png
    Sys Restore.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 119
OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

But I've never had any problems with it before, and I don't know what it would have to do with my sound. Also, if it's not graphics, it was pretty weird timing.

wingman99

The system restore post you have says the drive might be corrupted that could do anything to your OS. Have you scand your hard drive?

OP
darkpyro1

darkpyro1

Well, for some reason [run - sfc scannow] doesn't actually bring up the normal scan. I had to go into [C:/ - Properties - Tools] and click "Check" under error checking. That resulted in no found errors with the drive. I don't have any partitions under C:/ either, so if it doesn't see any errors there, I don't know where else they'd be.

I also ran chkdsk /R and chkdsk /F in cmd, and I have to wait for a reboot to get results. But again, I really don't think it's my drive. Then again, I don't know why sys restore would think it was corrupt if it wasn't.

UPDATE:
Restarted the computer and the sound still wasn't working, so I reran the system restore, and it completed successfully. Unfortunately, I still have my sound issue.
Another curious issue I've just found - could be unrelated, but I may as well bring it up in case it could have anything to do with this - I thought maybe changing the GPU's PCI slot could have made my PC think I changed hardware, and I figured maybe it just wanted me to re enter my Windows Activation Key (Win8 hasn't proven to be good about telling you that it wants the activation key), so I went into the PC settings menu, where it normally has you enter it. When I got to the menu, there wasn't a place to enter the key, which means it doesn't need me to re-enter it, but I figured I may as well check to make sure. One way of checking is to try to do anything in the "personalize" tab of the change PC settings menu. So I tried, and I got an error, but not the error you get when windows needs to be validated. It just said "Lock Screen Failed - Setting the lock screen failed. Please try again". This was also the case for the account picture - it gave the same error with the words "lock screen" replaced by "account picture" - but my "personalize start screen" menu works fine.

Any new ideas?

Last edited: