• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing color depth????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

Okay, the school computers are retarded, someone changed the color depth in my study hall class, and only a teacher or admin can change it back. Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to change things in the display menu? BTW, the comp is win 98. Quick help is appreciated, as I want to play Pocket Tanks tomorrow

OP
C

CPFitz14

nope, tried it, thanks for the help though.

C'mon, somebody, i'm hoping to play games tomorrow :D:D:D

ninthebin

yeah, just see if you can log onto that computer rather than the network

or just ask the admin to set it back up cos its hurting your eyes or something

OP
C

CPFitz14

tried that too, doesn't say that but something like it 'cause its 98, not 2k. I even tried just unplugging the network cable altogether. It's like its on the hard drive somewhere.

So no one knows of any magic program?

DanFraser

hit cancel at logon?

erm... go into the windows folder and MOVE (not delete) the *.pwl files, then reboot, login, and try, if it doesnt work, you are still able to resurrect those pwl files...

baqai

may sound stupid but its been a while since i had win98, i think windows keepts its settings in one of the files (hidden on root) and i was once checking out the file and saw display setting there MAYBE if you change the setting in that file it may affect windows, if i am not wrong file was system.ini or win.ini may work

OP
C

CPFitz14

well.......i think i broke it.

I tried moving some of the network software files, and I also tried installing some video drivers I found on the c drive. It still boots windows, but gets a bsod every 10 seconds, and has about 15-20 error messages you have to click through at startup. Oh well, as long as I don't get in trouble.