• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing default browser in RH8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
I'm using RedHat 8.0 and I'd like to change the default browser from Mozilla to Opera. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to do it. Any help?

nihili

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
It should be able to be changed in the Control Center under URL Handlers in the Document Handlers category. Just change the default from Mozilla to Opera, although I'm not exactly sure what needs to go in that handler space.

Jeff Bolton

should be in your panel menu..click on the gnome foot or the kde 'k' and browse the menu's till you find the control center. should be under preferences or something of the sort.

jeff

OP
nihili

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
In RH8 the control center is just a bunch of control panels such as you would see in Windows. There is a Files and Programs control panel, but nothing called URL Handlers in it. I switched the file association of .html from "htmlview" to opera, but that had no effect. I've also used the "Default Applications" panel to switch the default browser from Mozilla to Opera. But again this had no effect.

Any other ideas?