• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing PSU output voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX

I was just looking at my PSU today and I noticed a little red switch. One way it says 115 and the other way it says 230. The I look at the labels and I can figure that the switch can change the voltage output from 115V to 230V. Should I do this? Is there a possibilty of frying my computer?

The 115/230V option just selects which AC/DC inverter the PSU must use. If your plugs run off 115v (USA, America's, Asia) and you switch to 230v (Europe, Africa) and you plug it into you board all that will happen is that your PSU's fuse will blow and there is a good chance that you'll kill your board. Don't try it cos it's not gonna give you more volatage! Rather, hook up a second PSU in parrallel to get more volts. Article here

We use 230V mains power in the UK. I think we have a lower current though (13A I think?).

Back