• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chassi and cooling of x6 system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bjozac

I just ordered a X6 1055T with a GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3.

I'm completely new with overclocking but a master degree in computer science(software).

I've been reading forums and realized that there are 100types of knower's and thinkers :)

So instead of trying to sum up them I put my question here where i believe the best forum is located.

I will by a new chassi and a new cooling system.
My initial taught was;
Chassie: Fractal Design R3
CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro H70

The R3 cause i really like the design and its intelligence, they have really taught about most things in that chassie.

My goal is to overclock the cpu to 3.8gHz, preferebly with turbo if I manage to find such a guid, and stil have a low noice level. I read that the H70 makes a lot of sound from the water pump. And that the Noctua NH-D14 can cause the chassie to become very hot(low air stream in R3).

So questions are;
1) What do i buy to achieve low noise and high performance(preferebly cheap) both cpu-cooler and chassie
2) Any one have some hints for a turbo overclocking

That is one great guid, thanks!

First step tough, to buy chassi and cpu-cooler, do you have any input on this?

Before blowing huge wads of cash on cooling, try 'maxing out' you OC with the factory cooler just to make sure your rig can handle a good OC.

You mean by chassi you mean computer case?

If your new at PC building you would do well with the Corsair H70. It's entry level almost watercooling. It's easy to install, and it's not the pump thats loud, it's the fans you need to make it perform well. Overclocking vs noise vs money.

Or in other terms

Silence
Performance
Budget

Pick TWO.

I can make a PC overclocked to the max for max gaming/power, a FAST CPU, two hot expensive GPUs, and even WC the mobo. And it will be very quiet. But will spend maybe even $800 for JUST the watercooling.

So your best bet is to pick quality parts to start with to meet your goals of watching videos, photo work, watching TV, just checking email, crunching for Cancer, playing games etc.

Then set your hardware goals. Then decide on the case (chassi) and if you want to watercool or not.

Then buy stuff, realize xx was wrong, spend more $$, and build it and get addicted.

The smarter you are, the harder you work will save you money. Don't rush it. Hang out, read MANY MANY posts, meaning 50+ in just this forum, and other 50+ in the watercooling forum, and more in the CPU, Mobo, GPU, and overclocking forums.

Just dn't make it a job, have fun, it'll happen if it does. Let the fun come to you.

Hi Again,

I'm not a fast starter, but now I finally got some time to read and test overclocking.

What I managed to get so far is on my 1055T;
260 FSB
14 multiplier(max)

Core temps high(core temp 0.99.8) = 44C
CPU temp(Easy tune 6, SpeedFan 4.42) = 57C
System temp = 42C
VID(unchange voltage in BIOS) = 1.3250v
NB = 2080
HTT = 2080

1) Are these temps good, 57C / 44C@core?

2) My ram are 1600mHz by factory, can i overclock them to? I think I got them to run in something like 1300 now, but would like to increase them to.

And please tell me if I've done something stupid :) I did read trough dolk's guid and followed it.

Last edited:
Back