• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chassis design and Prescott thermal control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theflyingrat

Recently I've been toying with my 3.2E Dell workstation here at work. I've been running tests involving thermal control on the Prescott... since MBM5 has Precision 360 support in it, I decided to install it on my work PC and see how Dell manages heat with the Prescott.

And frankly, I'm quite impressed. Although they're sort of walking the margins as far as heat output is concerned, I can honestly say that the Precision 360 design won't contribute to the destruction of a Prescott anytime soon.

At idle, this PC is completely silent. I mean 100% silent - it's easily one of the quietest machines I've ever used. MBM5 displays a 50-53C idle temperature, with the chassis running at 39C. The PC continues to run absolutely silently until the CPU temp spikes up to 65C. I've only done this while ripping CDs or running Prime95 on it. When about the 63C threshold is crossed, the front and rear thermally-controlled chassis fans speed up, and they finally become audible. The rear fan is also the CPU fan; a shroud covers the large copper heat pipe heat sink completely, and the chassis fan sucks air around the heat sink and out the back of the case. Once the CPU cools down, the PC goes straight back to silent mode.

Now, my 2.8A Prescott (at 3.34) at home sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Given, my temps are better (39-41C idle and 56-58C full load,) but it's much more disruptive to listen to.

What I'd find really interesting to see is how well this chassis design would stnad up to a Prescott at about 3.6 or maybe 3.8. I have some 3.4s, but they're Northwoods, so that wouldn't have the full effect. What I did find out, though, is that a good system of ducts could definitely help make a quiet PC... does anyone do this with their home PCs, with the fan throttling and all on a moderately OCed Prescott? I'd like to hear if it's always in full-bore-fan mode or if it's quiet while not under heavy loads...

OP
theflyingrat

theflyingrat

I'd actually like to cram my motherboard in this chassis, but I don't think that's possible... then just OC the crap out of this 3.2E! See if that 65C plateau gets pushed further up, or if the chassis is able to control it! :D

corebreach

Registered
Correct Sjaak. Dell motherboards use what looks like a standard 20-pin ATX power connector, but the wiring pinouts are proprietary. NEVER mix & match Dell and non-Dell motherboards or PSUs as damage may result. I have heard conjecture that Compaq and other prebuilt companies use proprietary pinouts as well, but I can't confirm this.

theflyingrat: Good luck experimenting with Dell cooling further. Evidently the heatsink/shroud/rear fan design works well for them, they've been using it for years.