• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap a$$ Celeron OC mobo for encoding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sumpm1

Registered
I know this his kinda vague. But I need an extra machine for my asudio/video encoding needs, a real number crusher. Nothing extravagant needed, since it won't be doing games or anything.

I want a cheap board with AGP (no onboard video crap) and want to OVERCLOCK a celeron 2.0 or up? Thats another question. To overclock a celery, which one should I get?: Celeron 2.0-2.4? This board will probably need DDR to Overclock right?

Thanks

lyle

How many $$$ is cheap?

You can get brand new Abit BH7's all day for under $80, and Celly 2.0's are usually a lock at 2.66 and a large percentage will do 3.0 or higher. And yes, the BH7 is a DDR board. If you run your memory 1:1 or 4:5 then good PC2700 will suffice, shoot, at 1:1 even generic PC2700 will be OK.

deadkenny

The P4 based Celerons are garbage. I was reading a review where the 2.6GHz Celeron was embarassed in bench after bench by a lowly Duron 1.6GHz. Even the low-end AthlonXP's (like 1800) left it in the dust. If you must have Intel, you'd be a lot better off with a 1.6 or 1.8GHz Northwood P4. Better yet, for a cheap number cruncher go AMD socket A. The Celeron is the ultimate manifestation of the 'GHz myth' (that clock speed = performance). Even if you OC it to 3GHz, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting good performance.

OP
S

sumpm1

Registered
How many $$$ is cheap?

Just as cheap as possible, I'm a cheap *******. Under $80 is good. Would be nice to have a hardware chart here that listed all of the possible options on different mobos and other hardware that pertains. I know the main site has reviews, but a chart with links and user comments would be excellent. As many times you will run across a deal and wonder what kind of options the device supports in bios.

Everybody gives the Celeron a bad. Most say go for a P4. Well obviously the P4 is better. I am using an Athlon 1800+ right now and just want to try something different and learn 1: about Intel hardware.....2: If all the trash talk about the celerons is for real. I have read that celerons can be all right for off and simple apps, but lack in bandwidth hungry apps and games. Pure encoding power for low dough is all I want, no great specs needed.

lyle

My my, aren't the AMD fanboys out today.....

Let's do some real simple figuring, a BH7 for about $80, a retail Celly 2.0 for about $60, a 512MB stick of PC2700 for about $65, comes out to about $205, and that'll get you 2.6 to 3.0 ghz with virtually no trouble at all.

Not real cheap, but in the ballpark for you?

deadkenny

If you have to have Intel, and it has to be cheap, then I agree that the Celeron is about your only viable option. As long as you realize that you've eliminated other, better, options by predeciding. The suggestion above is about as good as any. I'd be interested in hearing how it compares to your XP1800. As for "AMD fanboy", well hardly. I just tell it like I see it. I didn't say that AMD is best for everything, or that Intel is evil or any of the rest of the usual stuff. But the point is that the P4 architecture really only established itself with the Northwood, which not only bumped up the clock speed to over 2GHz, but also increased the L2 cache to 512KB and the FSB to 533MHz (and later 800MHz). The Celeron has been 'castrated' by having the FSB limited to 400MHz and having the L2 cache cut to 128KB. P4 architecture and small cache is not a good combo for performance.

Albuquerque

Yeah, hate to be the realist here, but a $200 overclocked 2ghz Celeron is going to lose it's *** to a $200 (or less) AMD system. I don't even own an AMD system, but for cheap power there's no better alternative.

Celerons simply don't have the cache to keep the 13-stage pipeline fed at high speeds, so they are continuously waiting on system ram to feed their pipes. A short-pipeline chip (AMD anyone?) is what you want if you have such limited L1 or L2 caches.

Even for encoding you're MUCH better off sending your money to AMD.

Tawcan

Registered
Celerons are POS. Take a look at Anandtech's budget system review.

You're better off getting a system based on Duron. But for a few bucks more you can easily get 2500+ and way more power.

OP
S

sumpm1

Registered
I am really listening, and I hear you that Celeron is garbage OK. But the title of the thread never said I was having trouble deciding on a CPU, I need a good overclocking P4 board, and I'm a broke joke with no extra cash. I already have 2 Athlon systems(one I am using now and one for a video player and conslole emulator in the living room) I am ready to try Intel, it's cheap. I love to be cheap and get cheap stuff.

As for the performance of a Celeron vs an Athlon------ I CARE NOT!!!!!

If I want a more powerful athlon machine, I will upgrade the one sitting next to me aha! I want a seperate machine specifically for encoding, nothing else, no games , no 3d nothing! This machine won't even have a mouse and keyboard, it will be controlled remote by LAN.

As for you Celeron haters, worry not. I will have a new overcloackable board in which I can buy any P4 I see fit when I wanna go for it, right? So then I can have it all.

As for the specs of a Celeron overclocked to 3.0ghz, all benchmarks except for Anadtech's show Celeron 3.0 on par with roughly same ghz P4 IN THE VIDEO AND AUDIO ENCODING DEPARTMENT ONLY, which is what this machine will be dedicated to. Anandtech's video encoding benchmarks have always been jacked. One time they said that they couldn't determine the average fps ov an encode seesion, so they just took the last number that their software spit out for the last frames, jacked up!.

So if anyone has suggestions for a CHEAP A$$ overclockable P4 board, tell me, that is what I want.

Maybe you guys would just give me an answer if I gave in to you and said that I don't want a Celeron and I am going for P4. Then would you recommend a good board for cheap?

lyle

If you want something for now and later, should get either an Abit IS7 or Asus P4P800, both are around $105 plus or minus $10. Both will give you practically every adjustable option in the BIOS to really tweak your CPU and memory. Don't worry about the Abit "no 400fsb support" line. They only say that to cover themselves with Willamette core CPU's of which the Celly 2.0 is not.

DipStickTony

umm...hes right

But I need an extra machine for my asudio/video encoding needs

hes right for audio/ video encoding pure ghz helps out alot and even a celeron wont be to much slower then a similarly clocked p4.

I have a 1.8 celly clocked at 3.8 ghz and it stomps my barton at ~2500 mhz for encoding/decoding, but it also preforms worse then my stock 2600+ in games.

If its just for encoding/decoding pick up a 2.0 celly. bh7 (same board i use) and some pc2700.

a 2.0 at 166mhz is like ~3.4 ghz or so right there.

SuperDave1685

A cheap overclockable P4 board heh? Well I got me here an Aopen MX46-533V. Nice litte board. DDR support, onboard audio/video/LAN. Supports up to a 2.8 P4 with the latest BIOS. The board costs about $80. But thats from a local PC store with jacked prices. I'm sure you could find it for about $50-60 online. I know not the BEST, but hey- it suit my needs and hasn't failed me yet and should do well for you audio/video encoding (of course turn off onboard video and sound).

OP
S

sumpm1

Registered
I looked up Abit IS7 on pricewatch.com and there is a $68 IS7V. What's the difference betweent the IS7V and the IS7E and IS7-M(or any others)? Will they all overclock?

deadkenny

Looks like the M has integrated video, the E is similar but without integrated video and V is the stripper model with single channel memory. The V might be at a performance disadvantage with the memory. Between the E and M I would expect them to be similar, but the integrated video might actually be a bit of a disadvantage for OC'ing (it is with the nForce2 for instance).

eg1441

Registered
encoding/decoding

Decoding is done by the graphics/sound card though isn't it?

Anyway, you seem to know a fair bit so read some reviews because there are alot of p4 mainboards out there and no obvious "one" to buy for overclocking.