• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap AM2 cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghostcustoms

Well little lost in the low end processors...

Should I look for a particular one
New Sempron Sparta
older Sempron
Athlon xp 3000-4000

I know the older xp > sempron but with a overclock what would be the best value? This is for web and typing only computer.

ps2cho

If all you do is web + typing, then the new 65nm Sparta Semprons would be perfect :) They are dead cheap too.

OP
G

Ghostcustoms

I noticed the price, but older Sempron goes for nearly half the price with the same clock speed. I guess I need to look into the catch on them also.

ps2cho

I noticed the price, but older Sempron goes for nearly half the price with the same clock speed. I guess I need to look into the catch on them also.

Yes, but they won't overclock as high, they will be slower clock for clock and will run hotter too with the 90nm process.
If you are not overclocking at all, you won't notice the difference....but....well...this is an overclockers forum so I'd recommend the 65nm of course :D

You do have an AM2 motherboard correct?

OP
G

Ghostcustoms

I have an extra m2n mx se plus, I know I want to stay in the low power range as far a cpu current draw.

I posted about the issues I was having with it in the Mobo section.