• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap LEDs (even UV)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
---cheap LEDs (even UV)---

the guy that sells all of the DIY CCFL's and LEDS over
at the.......[H] :rolleyes: has finally got himself a
website.

beats paying 10$ for an LED when you can have them for
50 pennies!

http://www.exabytesystems.com

oh, and shipping is only like $0.50 or $1.00 for LEDs
so it won't kill ya there.

peace!

Nice find! I was just looking for a place to buy some too. Picking up some rocker switches, led holders, leds, and cable tie mounts for my dual CC's.

BTW what does reverse voltage and angle mean?

Last edited:
i really have no idea, send an e-mail to the guy, he responds pretty quick

reverse voltage is the voltage necessary for a diode to conduct electricty in the wrong direction. (and most likely damage the diode.) An LED is one such example.

An interesting variant is the Zener diode, which is designed to conduct at that reverse voltage.

As for angle, hmmmm , that's probably the largest angle from head-on that you can really see the LED light up in any appreciable way.

-- Paul

Ok thanks. I e-mailed him asking what the operating voltage and current that the LED's are supposed to run at. I'll post them here once I get an answer.

That's a really great question. Generally, the voltage depends upon the color, but as for current, that's another matter. Nice website, btw! -- Paul

Well, if he has units loose, he can use a diode checker on a multimeter to find the voltage drop, and that will be that figure. As for current, that's anybody's guess .... but usually, it's on the order of 10's of mA.

-- Paul

The guy selling the led's is a good seller.
I bought 40 led's from him just a few months ago, shipping was $3.20 or less.

Does anyone know what size I have to get for replacing the LEDs on my Dragon case? Also, do I have to add resistors in order to keep them from burning out or anything?

without knowing the voltage/current u wont know what resistor to impliment, boo!

You'll most probably need resistors. Do you have a multimeter? If so, you can do two things when you get your LED's:

1) Use the diode measurement tool to measure the voltage drop across the LED. This should be the minimal voltage that will be necessary to light it.

2) Apply that amount of voltage to the LED. (Say, if you measure 2.7V in part 1, then just use 2 AA batteries for 3V.) Splice in the multimeter to measure the current at that voltage level.

Calculation: Suppose that Vled was the voltage you measured in 1, and Iled was the current you measured. Suppose you want to hook your LED up to a voltage of value Vcc. (ex, Vcc = 12V or 5V)

Then you need to put a resistor before or after the LED, of value

R = (Vcc - Vled) / Iled.

If you want a greater current through the LED (to make it light up brighter), increase Iled. -- Paul

Last edited:
The blue ones are all 5v, so you can hook them up to the 5v line on your power supply with no resistors.

They dont have the ones for the dd5, but im actually thinking of replacing the ones i bought for the dd5 with some normal ones (2 per side) because these that i have are kinda aqua not blue. Il let you guys know how it looks, it would certainly be cheaper with this deal.

I know this guy personally, great dude. He helped me get into computing and is a senior at my high school and in one of my classes. He has great prices, to bad he wont cut me a deal :( Happy buying everyone!

Bought one of each with holders from him. Nice FAST email response when there was a problem with the order. Good prices too.

I'm glad you like the site and prices.
Also thanks for the idea of testing the led's, I'm going to see if my multimeter can do that. Any idea that the symbol on the multimeter is? I am a n00b to electronics :D

The symbol you'll want to see for the diode checker is this:

diode.bmp

-- Paul

Back