• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Mid-Tower Case to cut up, etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voigts

Directron has some older Chieftec Matrix cases for sale for $19 + shipping. They aren't the prettiest things, but if like me you are going to cannibalize the MB tray/PCI panel, power headers, and drive mounts, it is well worth the $35 shipped when you consider that Performance-Pcs wants $30 + shipping just for a MB tray/PCI panel alone. I ordered the blue aluminum one.

http://www.directron.com/caseartscases.html

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Could also be used if you have enough leftover parts to build a working PC to sell or give away.

Those looks nice

Could be worth it if you want to build a cheap computer. Besides, isn't it what's on the inside that counts?

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Could be worth it if you want to build a cheap computer. Besides, isn't it what's on the inside that counts?

Internal components can make up for only so much ugly lol...

It is a good deal for a case though, just add another $5 for a can of spray paint and you are golden.

damarble

Hideous, but notice it holds a 12x13 server board, I'm tempted to combine this with the geeks.com $12.99 dual socket Opty 940 mobo and the Opty 270s on ebay for $30 shipped/pair. Would be a mean upgrade for my HTPC.... ;)

omega pwned

Registered
just wondering, with that hideous paint job would you have to sand it all down or could you just prime and paint over it?

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
That is seriously the ugliest case I have ever seen. They turned something as stereotypically cool as a SKULL and made it look like a freaking flower patch.

But for 19+ shipping I guess you can just brown bag it and not let your friends see.

Chixofnix

That is seriously the ugliest case I have ever seen. They turned something as stereotypically cool as a SKULL and made it look like a freaking flower patch.

But for 19+ shipping I guess you can just brown bag it and not let your friends see.
If you feel so strongly, I could change your mind and do much worse for $20 paypal :D

Personally, I think this would fit my grandma's decor nicely - different strokes for different folks!

Old Thrashbarg

Yeah, it's definitely a $25 case since you have to count in the extra cost of a rattlecan, but I'd say it's still worth it... those cases rule. I'm still using one of the Antec variants, they just don't build 'em like that anymore. My only complaint is that it only has slots for 80MM fans.

@Omega
It depends how good you want it to look... A once-over with 220-grit sandpaper, followed by etching primer and some flat black spray paint will be enough to make it look presentable.