• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap router for running servers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mister2

I have a Linux box right now that I'd like to run an IRCd and a Half-Life server on, but my current router is very very basic and doesn't handle port forwarding very well, if at all. It's the D-Link DI-704P. Is there any inexpensive (under $150) router that will allow people outside my network to access servers I have running?

Most of the good name brand products have port forwording, such as SMC or Linksys. You could aslo set up you linux box to run as a firewall and router, that would cost you nothing. All you would need to do is add another NIC.

Would it still be possible to use the router as a switch? I have 4 computers that are networked, 3 windows based and 1 linux based. It would be interesting to learn how to do this with linux, but I would like to use just a router. Is the Netgear FVS318 VPN/Firewall router any good? That is something that's in my price range.

Mister2 said:
Would it still be possible to use the router as a switch?

Pick any router that has a built-in switch, it will have a bunch of ports at the back.

Routers generally don't differentiate LAN ports. So, in a word, yes :)

There should be a setting in the routers config page somewhere to disable the gateway feature. That I believe if disabled along with turning off DHCP will allow the router to work as a switch. You'll have to look for it. I'm not fimiliar with that paticular router. I've only used the Linksys BEFSR41 (and did'nt like it).

CrashOveride said:

Ya, ya, thats a good one I think, or at least it works well for me:D (has all the stuff you have said you need too).
What I did'nt like about mine was the port forwarding was not very reliable. And limited at that. I could never get any sort of server visible to the outside world behind it. Even while running DMZ. I even tried there tech support and they could'nt get it figured out. Tried different firmwares everything. And nothing worked. It was ok for basic home networking but nothing more then that. But it could have been mine just was'nt working correctly. Cause I would lose the connection every now and then. And while using a USB ethernet adapter it would lose the network connection when transfering files. Then I'd have to remove the adapter and plug it back in to get the connection back.

With my current setup this never happens anymore. It's much more reliable and trouble free. I'm running a ClarkConnect box for a gateway/firewall. As well as a file server, printserver, and proxy server. It's much better IMHO.

bdf24 said:

What I did'nt like about mine was the port forwarding was not very reliable. And limited at that. I could never get any sort of server visible to the outside world behind it. Even while running DMZ. I even tried there tech support and they could'nt get it figured out. Tried different firmwares everything. And nothing worked. It was ok for basic home networking but nothing more then that. But it could have been mine just was'nt working correctly. Cause I would lose the connection every now and then. And while using a USB ethernet adapter it would lose the network connection when transfering files. Then I'd have to remove the adapter and plug it back in to get the connection back.

With my current setup this never happens anymore. It's much more reliable and trouble free. I'm running a ClarkConnect box for a gateway/firewall. As well as a file server, printserver, and proxy server. It's much better IMHO.

Hrm... perhaps you are jsut unlucky? lol those would be pretty good reasons to go with somthing else I think.

CrashOveride said:

Hrm... perhaps you are jsut unlucky? lol those would be pretty good reasons to go with somthing else I think.
Yeah, but I always wanted to play around with a stand alone linux pc for a router anyway. Was going to go with Red Hat. But after doing a little reading I decided on ClarkConnect (which is built on Red Hat) cause it's specifically designed for that purpose. Does everything I need and more if you want it.
Some people are a bit scepticle on using a router/firewall pc for anything more then that. But I figure for a home network it's not much of a concern. The PC is still secure so all is well I believe.

Back