• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest, but highest PPD solution now a days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

I was thinking about getting a cheap motherboard and CPU and rocking out with some craigslist gtx 760's or something, 3 or 4 of them. GPU is the way to go now right? The i7's don't do anything anymore because they screwed us over right? I feel bad for SFU:(

I could get a cheap 1150 board with a cheap i3 or G series cpu and find a motherboard with 3-5 pci slots, run some cards with a riser if needed, a couple 600w psu's or 1 1000w psu?

with nvidia cards you need one cpu core per card.
with nvidia 7xx and 6xxcards use linux (that's free) and driver 340 or erlier, with windows use 327.23.
amd/ati cards can be found cheaper the most used is the 280x, with these I perfer driver 13.9 or there abouts.
you will be cheaper to use a gtx970 on linux, 300,000 ppd is the norm for the wattage used.

some of the teams big hitters discussing ppd/card and schooling me >>>>>> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/768480-Meep!-Meep! <<<<<<<<

a single 970 will produce close to the same ppd as 3 760's on much lower wattage and will be much cheaper to operate can use a much smaller power supply and will be less grief than a brace of 760's and will cost much less is the mid term.

Last edited:
My goal is to utilize the cold temps of winter and put 1 or 2 open board rigs in my shed(under 40 degree) and insulated. Summer I won't be running as I don't have central air.

I used to have

6-i7's running @ 3.8-4.0
1-2600k @ 4.4
2-gtx260
3-gts450
gt640
gts250
ati 79xx
2-9800gtx

The last setup that was running

34i07ea.jpg

What I started with

26270k8.jpg

I was pushing 700k ppd with all of that

I sure do miss the i7 bigadv bonus and I know SFU does with his 27 board farm

a pair if 970's will net you 600,000 to 700,00 ppd.
980TI's look to be making 500,000 each.
what you want to invest up front will have to guide you.

a pair if 970's will net you 600,000 to 700,00 ppd.
980TI's look to be making 500,000 each.
what you want to invest up front will have to guide you.

Yeah. I won't do anything until right before winter next year, but I'm thinking if the wu's and ppd's stay the same then some 280x or 970's on some cheap boards with cheap cpu's would do good.

for folding i use a cheap quad core apu/motherboard combo from microcenter, i just made sure that i got at least 2 pcie slots that would run at x16 and x8 so I can run dual card if i wanted to.
if you are looking at next winter, save your money till then, things have and will change.
the folding software will change, the cards and cpu's will change.
somebody reached inside my crystal ball and painted the whole insides black so i now have no idea what folding will look like in a year!!!!

Back