• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check out my rig now :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigSmokey

Im DONE! I redesigned my flows, put in a rounded IDE, addess mosfet cooling and a fan for the mosfets put some makeup on the old hag. Now she is ready for the ball (somewhere close, I only have 30' of extension cord)

You can see more pics here .

full_black_1.JPG

close_CPU_black.JPG

middle_bottom_black.JPG

Last edited:

E-Licious

Lookin good Smokey! I like the tube routing, short and sweet. Maybe you should add some UV reactive dye to the water now. How'd you get so many things on your MB to be UV reactive? Did you paint them? Caps get pretty hot, so I don't know if I'd paint them and reduce the heat transfer rate.

OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

Yeah, I used paint. If it gets too hot, I can flake it off easy enough, I tested it.

I havent gotten a siren in a while now. I cant get 220 stable though so Im back at 200x11. 220 runs windows fine but fails in prime. It will pass memtest at 220 though, so I think the chip just doesnt want to run that fast.

I havent tried it now that I added the mosfet cooling though.

OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

madcow235 said:
I need to know what uv's you are using since mine cant even light up half my case

Xoxide happy hour last week.

These exact lights. I got two lights running off one inverter (this is standard out of the box). One on top, one on bottom.

Im redoing my website right now, so Ill have more pics including the lights soon.

Korndog

damn, very very nice dude
i just got some uv paint too from the mall (body paint, heh :D)
i'm gonna try using it like u did too
no uv water dye? :(

OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

Im somewhat opposed to water dye. The pics dont show it, but the tubes glow a light purple on their own. I dont really want to add extra gunk into my system, but I might if I get a wild hair.

Im not done just yet either. There is more to come too. If it turns out like I am hoping, UV dye would be too much.

This is my website with more pics with thumbnails.

Korndog: I used paints from a hobby store. The bottles were .99 each in the acrylics section. Whatever you use, tests its conductivity first!!! You never know what might be in there. I tested every color I used AND the brush, just in case I lost a bristle on a resistor or something.

Last edited:

Warmart

Registered
WOW! That looks sweet man. I'd be very proud of your work. Makes me want to get a case with a window. But then I'd have to do some furniture rearranging so I could even see in it. Hmmm

=ACID RAIN=

Dude, that is WILD. I love that idea and tried it once myself, but didn't have any good paint. You pulled it off quite nicely though!

OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

Warmart said:
WOW! That looks sweet man. I'd be very proud of your work. Makes me want to get a case with a window. But then I'd have to do some furniture rearranging so I could even see in it. Hmmm

Wooo there nelly! Dont buy a window....MAKE a window. I cut mine out of a standard/non-window case side. They are easy and cheap to make. The only expenses are the 8$ plexiglass and $2 tube of silicone. You can use superglue or something you have around the house also. Even nuts and bolts would look cool if done right.

Warmart

Registered
Hehe, well yah, I would cut my existing case up. But what a nightmare to cut a hole that big in this case! I have a Supermicro SC-750A that I've had since I bought a P3-450 years ago. Just cutting an approx. 4"x3" rectangle on my mobo tray behind my cpu socket last week [while I wait for the remainder of my WC equip to arrive :) ] took several hours with my dremel. Would def. need a power tool for sure. This thing is made stronger then the space shuttle.

Didn't take long for me to make a new 120mm hole in the front with my drill and a 4.5" hole saw though! Less then 10 mins I would guess. This case originally came with 3-80mm holes in the front, and a few years ago I enlarged one (with dremel ack!) to 120mm and blocked off the other holes. However to allow my Chevette HC to fit, I had to move my 120mm intake further to the left of my case front. Seems those original 80mm holes were far to the right to allow air to blow on ram and mobo.

Your rig looks so friggin sweet though I've really got the urge to chop my side panel up. Will have to research the best cutting tool for that job. Dremel is absolutely out of the question. Kind of a waste to (soon) have this great looking WC gear stuck behind a solid side panel! Plus I polished my heater core up fairly nice with my dremel and a wire brush, should help with heat dissipation ;) Ok well it's shinier anyway! lol

Last edited:
OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

Nothing will beat a jigsaw for cutting a window. Get the finest teeth you can get, I think I had 21 teeth per inch. I also got the thin blade which is about 1/2 the normal width which makes turning corners easy. It took me about 20 mins to cut it out and I had no problem cutting exactly on my line, even in turns. I didnt force it at all, just let the saw do the work. I did oil the blade every so often just because I thought I should.

I found a walkthrough somewhere in this forum. Ill post a link if your intrested and cant find one you like.

SK8

Dude a little highligher in the water would do you wonders in your water and there isnt any "gunk" in highighter unles u put the whole inky cartrige in it lol

OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

I might test out some highlighter. I dont want it to look like everyone elses though. The green water I have seen looks ugly IMO.

I have an AWESOME idea, but I know some would scoff at it because it COULD either reduce flow or clog my system. I dont even want to mention what it is yet.

If it looks like I imagine though it would be AWESOME to the eye. I dont think it would reduce flow in any measurable quantity, and if I did it right it would have no chance to clog my system.

Warmart

Registered
Thanks BS (hmm u might not like those initials) for the advice, I'll also do a search on 'window cutting'.

Be sure and keep the pictures coming when u go public with your dye(?) or whatever else you're deciding.

OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

BS is very fitting. This has been my nick for a long time, so Im used to it :)

Ill see what happens with the dye. Im also going to try and test my other idea, but I might just have to try it.

Korndog

BigSmokey said:
Korndog: I used paints from a hobby store. The bottles were .99 each in the acrylics section. Whatever you use, tests its conductivity first!!! You never know what might be in there. I tested every color I used AND the brush, just in case I lost a bristle on a resistor or something.

yea, i thought about conductivity as well, the ones i have are water based so obviously, it is conductive. when it dries, it doesn't become conductive.

btw, how did u apply the paint? with a brush? fingers?
mine looks horrible.. :(