• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheezy Bois wont let me step?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dimorphios

Registered
I have a cheapo Matsonic mobo, I just finished unlocking one of my procs, checked it with a multimeter and all but I still dont see any stepping options in the bios... and the only voltage options are default, +.05 and +.10, both of which where there b4 I unlocked the proc... is there anyway I can verify if it was a bad unlock or just crappy bios???

- Deception

Kendan

Senior Punk
Unlocking the chip will not make the option appear in the bios.It just allows the option in the bios to work. See if you can choose user define under the cpu. You also want to look for the option to change the FSB. It is very possible that your motherboard does not support multiplier adjustment. The best way to find out is to look at th manual. Good luck.

OP
D

Dimorphios

Registered
yeah I can change the bus, up to 150 is the max... its wierd b4 I unlocked the proc I could run the 150 with this and the other 1600, but now this one when if goes to boot up it gives me the c:\winnt\system32\system - corrupt error which we all know means quit ***king with the bus speed dummy! bizarre... anyhow I will just have 2 throw it into one of my asus boards and check for proper unlock I guess... BTW just curious, what happens if any of your conductive "goo" touched one of those pits?? are they grounds or something... and is there any way to tell if thats the case shy of looking in the bios for the multiplier options?? like will it give u resistance on a multimeter or something?

- Dimorphios

AntiHeiss

Yes, those pits you talk about are connected to a copper ground plate directly underneath. Just get your multimeter and find the common ground conectors on the CPU...should be "dots" or the AMD logo. And check the readings. You'll probably want to just go ahead and retry the unlock though. BUT make sure you can even change the multiplier in your BIOS.

OP
D

Dimorphios

Registered
nah can't change it in there... thats what I get for buying a cheap mobo but hey it was a christmas present for my roommate... I am always fiddling with his computer to try and make it a litter more beefy so he doesn't feel so bad about me having 6 computers in my room all of which could [email protected] his *** into the ground... :)

I will just drop this proc into one of my boards and see if it steps... I will also try what u where talking about...

Thanks

Dimorphios