• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset fan dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightmare3215

My brothers Gigabyte motherboard is having problems, its making repetitive 1-second-long beeping noises. The problem I was thinking may be a little fan next to the cpu fan thats sorta struggling to get going. It sorta stutters and moves back and forth but never really gets moving. So I took the fan off and noticed on the top of it is a Gigabyte logo and on the back it has an AVC logo with some info.

Model D4010S12H
DC 12V 0.10A
Sleeve Bearing
D1355

I tried spinning the fan a bunch to maybe uncatch what might have been causing the problems. It seemed to move a little further the next time but it still kept stuttering when i turned the computer on again (Though the beeping noise stopped). I just decided that he should get a replacement and was wondering if this indeed is a chipset fan. I'm pretty new to hardware maintenance so any info on what to replace it with would be cool. Please give links to what I should buy if possible.

thanks

squirtle632

It seems to be a Northbrigde fan to me.

40mm 12volt fan.

Not real hard to replace.

www.svc.com
www.frozenpc.com

A lot of places sell it
Try to keep within 0.10 of original specs. So I would say no more than 0.20amp. You do not need a "screamer" fan on there. Just enough to move air.
I am betting that Gigabyte has something in the BIOS or internally in the MB that wants to see the fan moving just like a CPU fan.

OP
nightmare3215

nightmare3215

thanks

I think you're right about the bios thing. I'll look for a new fan but I'm going to look at newegg because i wanna buy an ethernet cable there too. might as well get 2 things at once from the same place :D

OP
nightmare3215

nightmare3215

Anyone

Anyone know of a place to get a fan I could use with free shipping? Its sorta sad when the cost of shipping the product exceeds the cost of the product :(

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Dirty word, but Comp USA might have them..No shipping..:) 40x40x10mm
Not sure whats available in your area, since you didn't list your location.:D Unless your everywhere... :-/

Specification
Compatibility: Case
Bearing Type: Ball
Nominal Speed(RPM): 2200
Max Air Flow(CFM): 6.5
Max Pressure: Not Specified
Fan Material: Plastic
Heat Sink Material: N/A
Rated Voltage: 12V
Noise(dBA): 26

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-129-036&depa=0

Specification:
Compatibility: N/A
Bearing Type: 2 Ball
Nominal Speed(RPM): 8700
Max Air Flow(CFM): 11.3
Max Pressure: 0.41 Inch-H2O
Fan Material: Plastic
Heat Sink Material: N/A
Rated Voltage: 12 V
Operating Voltage: Not Specified
Noise(dBA): 37

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-701&depa=0

Last edited:

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
My fan started to get a bit noisier in my soltek board, so I just took it out and have found no ill effects since then. Depending on the extent of your overclock, you can often run without any fan at all on the NB. Running stock its completely unnecessary insofar as I've seen.

You can also try to oil the fan... Do not use WD40 or similar lubricants though, you need fan oil specifically, or some other lubricant that doesn't break down. WD40 is a better cleaner than it is a lubricant in this sort of application.

Also be aware that though oiling can get some extra life out of your fan, if its starting to go, it could likely still go, but also, often times a drip of oil is like a new lease on life. Worth a shot perhaps.

OP
nightmare3215

nightmare3215

ahhh

I got an antec 40mm fan from newegg and it came with a 4-pin connector, but I need a 3-pin to hook it to my motherboard. Now what should I do?

Mortis03

you can get a 4 pin to 3 pin connecter. they too are pretty easy to find. newegg prolly has them

OP
nightmare3215

nightmare3215

I got an idea, Im thinking of pulling the 2-pin (yea its a two pin, i mistook the 2pin for a 3-pin) connector off the old 40mm fan and soldering that on the new fan after pulling off its 4-pin connector (soldering the black wire to where the previous black wire was and the red one to where the previous red one was).

Think that'll work?

Moto7451

Senior Something
That should work. All case fans are 12v unless they have some non-standard fan stuck in there. With a NB fan it wouldn't be anything more then 12v anyway. Put black to black & red to red & you're good. I did this myself once.