• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chrome Book

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi

So .....I been hearing that the Google Chromebook is worthy of consideration ? Long ago some tech folk painted a poor performance picture of same? Some say the CB has great security, virutally NO adds or POPUP adds, and updates in the background as well as booting in under 10 seconds ? Give me your pros and cons on this hardware?

If annoying adds and popups are ostracised from the users overall browsing experience.... then Im attracted.

Curious,

Berne:chair:

Not sure I agree with the "no ads and no popups" claim. A Chromebook is basically stripped down Linux install with the chrome browser as the only application. They come in a wide range of configurations from an I7 processor with 16GB RAM to an Atom or ARM processor with a couple GB. Performance will vary accordingly.

Security is enhanced because the limited OS is easier to secure and if needed, you can "power wash" it which takes it back to the 'as purchased condition. Obviously compromises that require Windows to run cannot work on a Chromebook.

If all of the things you do are done on a web page, then it may be a good solution for your needs. I have one I purchased refurbished from meh.com for $160USD that has 4GB RAM and a celeron processor with a FHD IPS display. I've installed Ubuntu on a thumb drive so I can use it as a Linux laptop or Chromebook and I use it both ways. I normally use Linux on my other H/W so Ubuntu is quite comfortable for me. I also use an add blocker (ublock) and privacy guard (privacy badger) so I cannot comment on how it works without these. Browsing is a bit better under the ChromeOS when I have more tabs open as there is more RAM available to the browser.

Chromebooks now make up over 50% of the computers in public school classrooms. They are almost immune to infection and if that does happen or if OS file get corrupted, as HankB said, it's very easy to "powerwash" them and restore to factory condition. There's no of programs and data in doing that because, normally, all that stuff lives on the cloud. Although, if you want to you can store data on the book itself. Many Android apps are now being ported over to Chrome OS and the newer Chromebooks can install them just like a smart phone. They are half the cost of a Windows-based laptop and give a small fraction of the maintenance headaches Windows does. Lightening fast boot ups. And yes, they are minimalistic. Great for non tech savvy people who do everything on the internet.

Hi,

Many thanks for that. Sounds a good option as a travelling laptop.

Berne

Hi ,

After almost a month my new purchase Chromebook Slate with the i5 128GB version, Id like to say for me , this OS has 90% of what a basic user needs.

I agree with the above poster and his offering contains some quite heavy content.

Small issues I hope to overcome with time, something we have at this unfortunate time.

Regards,

Berne

How does it work if you are not always connected to the internet? Can programs and data be stored locally?

Hi...there are some good explanations on Youtube. You can expand to an external drive with the two USB C ports. Yes the Slate works with any Android app and Linux.

It is fast, it is user friendly ( after practice ) and it has virtually no virus activity wow. You can connect to a larger monitor with the correct cables.

You may get a drop from time to time with Bluetooth but that is quickly remedied.

Try it,

Berne

Hi ,

Im trying to add a monitor ASUS222D 22¨ via a USB C adapter. Im having difficulty mirroring my Slate to the hooked up monitor. The monitor has two cables going into it:
1) The AC power from the wall to the monitor .
2) The VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA to USB C adapter which then goes into the Slate.

When I power on the monitor I get the ASUS logo then a NO VGA SIGNAL , so I have a compatibility conflict here.

Also, after viewing some Youtube assistance videos on the matter, I see that in the Slate settings - Device - Displays I should have an option to activate Mirror option and this is not shown on my settings menu?

All good advice welcome,

Berne

Can you try the USB-C -> VGA adapter on another PC? It sounds like the Slate does not detect the monitor and that leaves you with no option to configure it.

Buy a google chromecast usb device. They are about $35 last I checked. Plug the chromecast into a spare hdmi port and the tablet will connect wirelessly and use whatever monitor you want, tv's, whatever.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Buy a google chromecast device. They are about $35 last I checked. Plug the chromecast into a spare hdmi port and the tablet will connect wirelessly and use whatever monitor you want, tv's, whatever.

Editing posts from my phone either delets them entirely or I have no idea what just hapoened.

ChromeBook is good if you want out-of-the-box OS. There is no bloat in the system. And the system is super fast. It is a stripped-down version of "Gentoo" if I am not wrong.

The downside is that you need an internet connection almost always to be productive using the Chromebook using it.

Am I seeing things? I came across a whole ROW of Chromebooks, today, that were running Windows 11. (Would post photos if the mobile app still worked.)

Since its already been bumped...I wish Google had kept up newer iterations of the Pixelbook...Mine is over 5 years old and I would like to replace it, but the thing still runs perfectly. :cool: :beer:

Am I seeing things? I came across a whole ROW of Chromebooks, today, that were running Windows 11. (Would post photos if the mobile app still worked.)
Nope. Chromebooks have had Windows on them for a bit. It's an option IIRC.

That's what I thought. I was looking for a new laptop for my wife and there was, quite literally, an entire ROW of Chromebooks... each with some variation of Windows on them. I took photos of each one and wrote down their prices.

Then I came home... saw this thread... and thought I had LOST MY MIND and wondered what I'd been doing all day...

But then how is it a Chromebook if it doesn't have ChromeOS on it?

Isn't that just a laptop?

I'm looking at best buy as an example and don't see any that are running Windows.
Post magically merged:

That's what I thought. I was looking for a new laptop for my wife and there was, quite literally, an entire ROW of Chromebooks... each with some variation of Windows on them. I took photos of each one and wrote down their prices.

Then I came home... saw this thread... and thought I had LOST MY MIND and wondered what I'd been doing all day...
Can you share any of the model numbers or upload to imgur or anything?

Back