• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cisco VPN Version 5.0.03.0300 transfer to another pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

My wife's IT guy is out of town and I was wondering if there is a way to transfer her VPN settings to our desktop so I don't have to bug him. I don't know the password for the Authentication or I would just set it up and re-enter the password.

let me know if it's his possible of if I have to wait 2 weeks so she can get on her stuff at home.

RoC1909

In the "old days", Cisco used to use a rather weak encryption method to protect user passwords. All that needed to be done there was open a "certain file", do a quick copy of a "string" and run a program on it OR plug the string into certain websites that would decrypt it for you.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea if this would even be possible anymore. My guess would be that you might have to wait the two weeks.

Then again, I could and probably is way off with my assumption.

ppe1700

The "file" you are looking for is located in this file path:
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\Profiles

You will need to simply save the file to usb drive and transfer it that way to the next PC. You will then need to then import that .pcf file into the cisco vpn client installed on the other machine.

You could also send the file via email, or copy and paste the contents into an email and re-make a notepad text file with its contents and saving the file as .pcf.

Going by that version number I am assuming the VPN client is IPSec.

OP
GIXXERGUY6

GIXXERGUY6

The "file" you are looking for is located in this file path:
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\Profiles

You will need to simply save the file to usb drive and transfer it that way to the next PC. You will then need to then import that .pcf file into the cisco vpn client installed on the other machine.

You could also send the file via email, or copy and paste the contents into an email and re-make a notepad text file with its contents and saving the file as .pcf.

Going by that version number I am assuming the VPN client is IPSec.

Nice work grasshopper :D

thanks homie

Cowboy Shane

As an additional note, if you are using a 64 bit version of Windows, then Cisco has no plans of supporting you with the VPN Client program. You can, however, get the latest version of Shrew VPN that has support for importing pcf files.

Cowboy Shane

Yes, Shrew VPN will log into VPN services provided by Cisco hardware. I use it to log into my company network since I moved to Windows 7. Another option you have, if you are running Windows 7 Pro, is you can install Cisco VPN Client into the XP-Mode virtual machine and have it show in your start menu. Then, there is a registry edit you can make in the virtual machine that will get its copy of Remote Desktop into your start menu. I had to do this at work as our policies do not allow us to use third party VPN clients to access our hosted customers.

Shrew VPN works pretty well, but it can be a bit confusing. When you connect, it will just give you some log info ending with tunnel enabled. That means it is working. Minimize it (don't close it!), and you should be able to access the work network's resources.

Cowboy Shane

Sorry, you do have one more option (other than a couple of commercial apps) - if the company's network equipment is new enough, you can use Cisco's AnyConnect software that does support 64 bit systems. Unfortunately, you can only obtain that software from the IT guy and his hardware has to support it.

trey_w

Sorry, you do have one more option (other than a couple of commercial apps) - if the company's network equipment is new enough, you can use Cisco's AnyConnect software that does support 64 bit systems. Unfortunately, you can only obtain that software from the IT guy and his hardware has to support it.

You need SSL licenses on the ASA for this since IPSEC is not supported by the AnyConnect client at this time