• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clarification guys: 3 sticks of ram on dual channel mbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

I've read a lot of "if you use 3 sticks of ram all of them will be on single channel" comments and I'd like to correct these people (politely :)) This is of course referring to AMD motherboards.

You can use three modules in Dual Channel Mode, by filling the third unoccupied slot. With three sticks, slots 1 remains as channel 0 while slot 2&3 become channel 1. To maintain 128-bit mode, with all three slots filled, each channel must have an equal amount of memory. For example, slots 1 should be filled with a 512 Mb module, while slots 2 & 3 are populated 256 Mb modules. If you were to use three modules of the same size, then only the first two modules would be running in 128 bit Dual Channel Mode. Example, using 3x 256 Mb modules will have the first 512 Mb running in 128 bit Dual Channel mode, while the remaining 256 Mb will be in 64-bit Single Channel mode
Taken from:
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=279&PageID=3

And an old thread on this board that talks about this:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=296537&highlight=dual+channel+sticks

JTanczos

I knew that :D

Jtanczos
Only way you can still run dual channel is to have the 2 256s on 1 channel and the 512 on the other. Dunno if thats what you pic is but if thats what it is then yes you can do that. Your board should be color coded. 256s go in the blue and 512 in black. Or vice versa.

JT

:D

*chuckles*

JT

OP
jlin453

jlin453

Yeah I know, just making sure the people who don't now know :). And this doesn't apply to intel boards.

ZER0SH|FT

Registered
Thats where it gets confusing, the guy in the guide calls slot one the slot all by itself, and in the manual slot one is the one closest to the CPU

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
drenader said:
what about for my abit Ic-7?? Same deal>?

No, your Intel board requires that you use an even number of sticks and for best results, that each set of sticks matches. For example, you could use two or four sticks of 256 or 512, as long as they are the same. Some boards are more picky than others, on some, you can mix the brand of ram and maybe even the default timings, etc. You can also run a mixture of 256 & 512 sticks if you match them correctly, for example, use 512 sticks in the first slot of each channel, then 256 sticks in the second slot of each channel. You would end up with a gig and a half, populating all four slots and operating in dual-channel mode.