• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clarifying the Vid-pin wire mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pain

First let me say I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I appologize for yet another post about it. This is a bit more technical, so I hope it can help others (as well as myself).

I have a CUSL2 with bios 1009. I purchased the upgradeware adapter and a Tualatin Celeron 1.1A.

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/370gu.htm

(I know I probably should have just done the socket mod, but lets not flame me too much for that mistake ;)

As you all know, the CUSL2 bios will not allow core voltage adjustments if the CPU default voltage is below 1.65v.

Now, to the question. Is this wire mod used by the motherboard to set the CPU default, or by the CPU? It seems to me that it's used to set the default core voltage on the MB....that seems logical. But, I tried to do the wire mod, shorting Vid1 to Vid2, but the MB still doesn't detect the new default of 1.60v.

My next step is to try to set the default to 1.65 because I saw something else here about that being the minimum I can set with this MB, but back to the technical question. Should this mod work with this adapter, and it is to be done on the MB side of the adapter, or the CPU side?

Using a ohm meter I can see that the CPU, when inserted into the adapter, is set to default of 1.5v, which is what is detected in the MB too (Vid2 tied to Vss, all other Vid pins floating), but shorting Vid1 to Vid 2 doesn't change the default to 1.6v as indicated in the Intel datasheet.

And, another question, does the MAD bios tweak fix this core voltage setting so I can adjust the core voltage for Tualatin CPU's?

Any information about this, and more technical the better. I have a strong HW background, and some experience OC'ing, so I'm not as dumb as I look ;)

Thanks.

TASOS

Try to do the vid-pin again....using a different kind of wire (a strip from HD cable)....and make sure you connect the correct pins.

OP
P

pain

No, and that's the problem. I have gotten the chip to run at 1466 in another machine, but need 1.6v. With this adapter I can't change the voltage from 1.5v in the CUSL2, thus my problem.

I used good copper wire (single strand from speaker wire) but will try again.

Thanks.

mirko_3

try asusboards.com if nothing good comes out of this forum... it originally was cusl2.com :) you ought to find something there it's full of asus mobos info

deez

I had a PPGA-FCPGA socket adapter with a cele [email protected] that was vidpinned and I wired the CPU directly before inserting it into the adapter.

OR

You can try the trick on the motherboard side as mentioned by making a small U shaped wire and inserting it into the proper pins.

OP
P

pain

OK, I'm sorry folks, I was sort of monkeying around with a slot1 adapter, as well as the s370 adapter. When I couldn't get the CUSL2 to work, I went to another BX system I had that was easier to work with....

Long story short, when I went back and tried the wire trick in the CUSL2, it worked.

I did it on the MB side of the adapter, FYI. Also, I want to update that I verified the Tualatine intel datasheet, but it's the same as the coppermine essentially, and what I said above is correct for the voltage settings.

And, also for information, I used a single strand of copper wire from a speaker wire. Not a small gauge speaker wire, but something like 16 guage. In that size, the single strand was small enough that it fit inside the socket easily, but large enough that there was a snug fit as the CPU pin entered the socket (and without damage to the CPU or the socket). The wire loop trick works well if you find the right size of wire strand to use, and it doesn't fall out of the socket, or even pull out when the CPU is removed. This strand of wire would be roughly the equivalent to wire-wrap wire, or slightly smaller, for those who are familiar with it. I'd say probably 30 gauge, or something like that.

Thanks for all the input.

JCLW

Q: Pain: Just out of curiosity, did you notch the socket so the CPU still sits flat?

- JW

OP
P

pain

No, I didn't have to. I used the wire loop method, and the CPU still sits very flat. Well, it's actually the adapter that sits in the socket, and it comes with a HS with a longer clamp to accomodate the thickness of the adapter, so the HS still fits tightly on the CPU. Everything seems fine.