• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Classic Console Game Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
I went to wiki and looked at all the games that sold over 1 million copies for these following system: Nes,Snes,N64,GB/GBC,GBA,Sega

I cut down the list to the ones I'm interested in, from what I've compiled what games are a must have that I don't have listed below.

Code:
Nintendo
    * Super Mario Bros
    * Super Mario Bros 3
    * Super Mario Bros 2
    * The Legend of Zelda
    * Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
    * Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    * Duck Tales
    * Ghosts 'n Goblins
    * Mega Man 2
    * Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
    * Contra
    * Mega Man 3
    * Bomberman
    * Metal Gear

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    * Super Mario World
    * Donkey Kong Country
    * Super Mario Kart
    * Street Fighter II
    * The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    * Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    * Street Fighter II Turbo
    * Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    * Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
    * Final Fantasy 3
    * Final Fantasy 2
    * Super Mario All-Stars
    * Chrono Trigger
    * Super Street Fighter II
    * Aladdin
    * Mortal Kombat 2
    * Secret of Mana
    * Final Fight
    * Super Mario RPG
    * Killer Instinct
    * The Lion King
    * Mortal Kombat 3
    * NBA Jam
    * Mega Man X
    * Kirby Super Star
    * Final Fight 2

Nintendo 64
    * Super Mario 64
    * Mario Kart 64
    * GoldenEye 007
    * The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    * Super Smash Bros
    * Diddy Kong Racing
    * Donkey Kong 64
    * The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    * Star Fox 64
    * Perfect Dark
    * Mario Party 2
    * Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
    * Wave Race 64
    * Banjo-Kazooie
    * Star Wars: Episode I Racer
    * Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    * Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    * Cruis'n USA
    * 1080° Snowboarding
    * Mario Party
    * Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
    * Mario Tennis
    * Yoshi's Story
    * The World Is Not Enough
    * Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    * Mario Party 3
    * PilotWings 64

Game Boy and Game Boy Color
    * Tetris
    * Super Mario Land
    * The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    * The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
    * The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Season
    * Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
    * Super Mario Land 2
    * Dr. Mario
    * Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
    * Kirby's Dream Land 2
    * Kirby's Dream Land
    * Duck Tales
    * Kirby's Pinball Land
    * Final Fantasy Legend
    * Super Donkey Kong

Game Boy Advance
    * Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
    * Super Mario Advance
    * Mario Kart Super Circuit
    * Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
    * Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
    * Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
    * The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords
    * Frogger's Adventures: Temple of the Frog
    * Pac-Man Collection
    * Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
    * Mega Man Battle Network 4
    * Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    * Sonic Advance
    * Metroid Fusion
    * Donkey Kong Country
    * Golden Sun
    * Spyro: Season of Ice
    * The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    * Wario Land 4
    * WarioWare: Twisted!

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
    * Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    * Aladdin
    * Sonic the Hedgehog
    * NBA Jam
    * Mortal Kombat 2
    * Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
    * Sonic & Knuckles
    * Mortal Kombat 3
    * Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Last edited:

Niku-Sama

before any one says any thing i need to say this, the only reason alot of the games out there didnt sell a million coppies is because they decided to only make a certian ammount so theres alot of games that arent best sellers that are as good or better than those that are in the list

OP
updawg

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
Yeah I understand, thats why I'm asking for any instant classics that I missed for these systems. I'm not trying to make a top 10 list, just looking for games that I need in my collection.

John G

Hmm… Possibilities for the NES:

If you like strategy games, much of the games made by KOEI were very good and genre defining. For me in particular, L'Emperor was probably my most played NES game of all time - a turn based strategy with historically accurate Napoleonic Wars setting playing as Napoleon. Uncharted Waters was good and not so much a strategy as an open ended historical adventure.

If you like RPG's… Final Fantasy and the Dragon Warrior games were bread and butter. Crystallis was a very good action RPG somewhat like a more primitive Secret of Mana (some good cheats built into that game, too.)

Action games…perhaps Double Dragon and Castlevania.

Micro Machines was a pretty neat racing game, too.

For SNES games, you might check my SNES thread that's a little below this one at the moment. :D There's definitely some really good ones in there that aren't on your list at the moment. Most famous among collectors is Earthbound…quite simply a stunningly well made and uniquely fun game…all while being an RPG that isn't in a fantasy genre setting (real world + aliens.)

Hard to mention much particularly good for the N64. The Zelda games were probably the best it had. I remember the Castlevania game being fun, but I never played all the way through it. There was also an Ogre Battle game, but I never had a chance to play that particular one.

I have never been much of a handheld player, so I don't have much advice there. I didn't do a whole lot of Sega playing either, but Altered Beast might be worthy.

Anyway, some KOEI games are a particularly good example of great games that didn't sell well or weren't produced in large quantity. Being more abstract thinking type games, they didn't appeal to the broad console gaming public (who were mostly young kids then) and generally weren't even offered at most retail stores. Without much or any internet sales existence, this left only specialty gaming stores and sometimes Toys 'R Us. It was amazing how well they managed to blend fun gameplay and interesting characters with historically accurate settings that actually ended up being highly educational. Their most famous series is "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" which also happens to be the name of a famous Chinese novel written around 1300-1400. It is a defining piece of their literary culture made up of a part of their history combined with orally told folk tales…a mammoth story with over 1100 characters. Several hundred years later it was rewritten into a shorter and more coherent version. In Asia, the series is hugely popular with regular installments across many platforms including several PC expansions with each version. Here, we get our one translated version on the most popular Japanese console of the time. :) Now, the company is more known for Dynasty Warriors, which takes the same setting, injects more fictional elements, and packages it into an action based game that is more appealing to the general gaming public.

Many times I would read a blurb about a new game of theirs in a gaming magazine, hope and pray that a local Toys 'R Us would carry it at least for a while, and then try to talk my parents into getting it for me at some point. Fortunately, the last part was easier than normal because the games were "educational" and my mom liked playing them, too. :D

rainless

Old Member
Well I think you're going about it all wrong. I agree with what Niku said: Some of the best games DIDN'T sell 1 million copies and I absolutely detest this method of use of statistics. Half the games on that list I can't stand.

How many horrible albums went multiplatinum? "Titanic" was considered an all-time classic when the film debuted, but now you can buy it brand new for two dollars anywhere DVDs are sold and nobody can stand to rent it. Same with Forrest Gump.

No... going about it in terms of how much money the game made is all wrong.

You're better off finding a list of the highest rated games of all time than just how many games were sold. (Though, admittedly, a few of the games listed above would fall on both lists... probably not NBA Jam though.)

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
With your list of Gameboy games you must add Metroid 2. I don't know if it sold a million copies or not but it was an excellent game.

Also, Aerobiz Supersonic was a great game for the SNES. And Star Control for the Genesis/Megadrive. There are others that escape me at the moment, but those are must haves.

OP
updawg

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
I agree totally! That is why i'm looking for ocf opinions, if you had a choice of only 5 games for each of these systems what would you pick. I'm just trying to compile about 20 games for each system that I should get or look into.

John G

Well, really most of what he filtered down to aren't bad games. I played a whole lot of NBA Jam once upon a time...although I probably won't miss it not being in my collection. Even Chip 'n Dale on the NES was an exceptionally good and fun game at the time despite being a kid cartoon setting and also in spite of the fact that most games based on popular movies/shows/cartoons were and are usually horrible games.

I would say he got good information out of what he did albiet incomplete. Rainless' suggestion of looking for "best games" lists is also good...there's some good lists out there nowadays that can be googled. www.sydlexia.com has fairly good "100 Best" lists for both NES and SNES....I know nothing else about the website other than it seems rather odd....

Oh...had another thing pop into my head...Earthworm Jim games. :D

John G

Here's my personal SNES list. I have better than half of them and am actively pursuing the rest. (roughly in order of importance)

Zelda: A Link to the Past
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
Inindo (this game rocks and hardly anyone knew about it)
Ogre Battle
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
Super Metroid
Contra III
Megaman X
King Arthur's World
Street Fighter II: Turbo
Shadowrun
Secret of Evermore
Illusion of Gaia
Samurai Showdown
Lufia games
Soul Blazer
ActRaiser games
Gradius/R-Type/Darius Twin games
Castlevania games

FudgeNuggets

By your list, I'm guessing you're either looking for games for an emulator or for the Wii Virtual console as your limiting it to Nintendo and Genesis stuff.

All the CastleVania games should be on your list.
both Punch Out games should be there
All the Super Star Wars games should be there
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for the Genesis (not kidding, it's awesome)
All the ClayFighters for the SNES and N64
all the NES and SNES MegaMan games.

I'll add more as I think of them. I have the flu and brain isn't working too well.

rainless

Old Member
I agree totally! That is why i'm looking for ocf opinions, if you had a choice of only 5 games for each of these systems what would you pick. I'm just trying to compile about 20 games for each system that I should get or look into.

Well that's more like it ;)

For NES: Kid Icarus, Jackal, Ikari Warriors II, and Batman
For SNES: Batman Returns (an overlooked classic), Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Street Fighter II: Turbo, Super Punch Out, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
For Nintendo 64: WWF: No Mercy (I don't give a damned if you don't like wrestling it's still an alltime classic), Zelda Ocarina of Time, Excitebike 64, Mario 64 (another alltime classic), Perfect Dark

I never had a gameboy so I couldn't tell you about that. But I think Batman for the Gameboy was on par with the NES version... which was absolutely phenomenal. It borrowed heavily from Ninja Gaiden yet had a style all it's own. The genesis version was a legend in it's own right and the SNES version was even better. You don't even have to be a batman fan... they were great action games.

OP
updawg

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
Thanks for all your input I looked into all these games you guys mentioned, also thank you john g for the top 100 lists for nintendo and snes!

And fudge if your wondering it's for xbmc but I'm keeping the topic kosher.

Niku-Sama

i really like rad racer i dont know why its just fun, to be honset though i cant reccomend any games because i have got so many running through my head.

i have got ~150 nes games alone i'll poke through them andmabe they wont all suck
well i have all the megamans so i know those dont suck