• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Classic shell and file sharing..2 issures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark620

I put this on a win8.1 (got the machine monday 31st....
when i start the windows explorer [??or what ever it is called{file explorer??}]
and close it(stupid me - need it all the time) the second time I open it id does not work and causes the screen to clear then disperses my desktop I cons....

I need help with security and file sharing too...

Actually file manager is crashing...

Yes, you can start a new thread here in the Microsoft Operating Systems forum here and people will help you.

You should post what kind of help with security you need. As for file sharing, you can read something like this:
http://www.addictivetips.com/window...haring-share-users-system-folders-on-network/

Or if you want us to help you step by step, we can do that too:
Right click on Folder you want to share > Properties > Sharing TAB > Share... >
From drop down Menu select: Everyone >
Add > Everyone > [Next to Everyone] > Read/Write > Share > Done > Close

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > [scroll down] All Networks [scroll down] >
SELECT: Turn off password protected sharing > Save changes

If asked for a Network password even though one was not setup,
Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > All Networks > Turn off password protected sharing > Save changes > Reboot

The fist part of your post unclear:
"the second time I open it id does not work" What does not work? When you say "disperses your desktop icons" - right click on Desktop > Sort by.

If you want to save Desktop icon placement, use this program:
http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm
It will help you save your icon positions on Desktop and Restore them with a simple right click.

I will look into your links soon.

Security is for work computers...small company..no one else knows anything.

I added google drive to the computer...it appears that it made a bunch of directories available on a share...many more than the one directory...???

We need to have 5-6 computers attached to one "company accounting source" it is on one users computer.

changing from win XP to Win 8...no one has any experience with win8.

I would like to know how to set up the work computers properly.

I found one that has everything shared..."C:\"

File Sharing on Windows 8: You can read something like this:
http://www.addictivetips.com/window...haring-share-users-system-folders-on-network/

Or:

Right click on Folder you want to share > Properties > Sharing TAB > Share... >
From drop down Menu select: Everyone >
Add > Everyone > [Next to Everyone] > Read/Write > Share > Done > Close

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > [scroll down] All Networks [scroll down] >
SELECT: Turn off password protected sharing > Save changes

If asked for a Network password even though one was not setup,
Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > All Networks > Turn off password protected sharing > Save changes > Reboot

Thanks...Will have to update. I haven't been back to the Classic shell site...

Do I need to uninstall b4 upgrading?

I now have it on 3 machines...I could learn the new interface ...but i do need the desktop & explorer. I probably have 2.5-3K's PDF's that I use & distribute

Need to check on the explorer to make it act&look like XP's

Last edited:
What is the proper way to disable IPV6 in win 8.1?

we are using a program written b4 IPV6 and it runs but takes minutes to load each change&page...

Definitely update Classic Shell as soon as possible.

Right click on the .exe file and try running the program in Compatibility mode for older operating systems. If that doesn't work, I do not know if starting a new thread about this new question would help get it noticed better.....

Definitely update Classic Shell as soon as possible.

Right click on the .exe file and try running the program in Compatibility mode for older operating systems. If that doesn't work, I do not know if starting a new thread about this new question would help get it noticed better.....

I will give that a try b4 uninstalling?/?/

:rain:

:shrug:

Installed Nero burning...older program...it willl not run "Drives not enabled" ???????

I tried to install Classic shell on a computer with NAV on it.
NAV would delete the file b4 I could start the install.

Yes this program allows "the more resistant of us to change" to use win 8 effectively...or for some of us at all....:bang head

I use metro for some things but I do not like that most everything started in metro is FULL Screen...thats fine for a too small to read size but for a 27" monitor it is not needed and a waste imo...

Back