• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clean that heatsink.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13oots2

Over the past few days have noticed a slow but steady rise in my CPU temps. Taking the fan of my ThermoEngine, I found enough cat hair to make a small mat with. It might just be worth checking every so often!!

Sinks with narrow spaces for airflow will clog with dust bunnies, and cut airflow drastically. I have one of those Agilent Acticooler 's. I checked the temp recently and it was like 20F warmer than 3 months ago. The slots at the bottom, where most of the cooling is done, were completely filled and blocked. I got the dust out with a stiff 1/4 inch solder-flux brush and the temp went back to normal. It was quite hard to get the stuff out.

I've checked people's computers where the HS fan is making a godawful noise, and found the fan tangled in matted strands which made it turn very irregularly trying to drag the junk around.

ya I agree. I've got a slot 1 here and i noticed it was running about 48c.

Figuring that was hot for a p2 233 i took the cpu off and looked into the heat sink. Damn, it was pretty bad. Cleaned it up and i'm running at 33c now.

:)

Back