• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clear Case Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o-clock-547

I am thinking of building a clear case using Plexi Glass. I have no experience. To all of those who do have experience; how do i hold the plexi glass together? Screws Glue? Will i have to ground my case? How should i cut the plexi glass? Straight Lines, Circles Squares? It difficult to construct? What problems will i encounter that i will not expect? About how much will it cost me? Is it worth it?

Thanx

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Many vary on what to use. Some have used glue of sorts, others have used screws, and others, other stuff.. I am trying to find a thread that had the type of glue that works best for this, but Im not having any kind of luck yet. Cant remember where I read it in here or anything for that matter. Other than it was called something like EMC, AMC, ECM or something.... If I find it I will post it and let you know.

OP
O

o-clock-547

Yah i heard it was edc. I'm not sure though. I'm actually thinking of usin l shape metal sides to bolt the plexi glass together.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Yea thats it, couldnt remember the name of it... but the thread that I read that in is here

and this is a qoute from that thread....

blckhawk said:
The case is welded together with EDC. You can get it at the hardware store or any place else that sells plexiglass. It's called by some other names as well. You basically clamp your pieces together put a couple of drops of EDC, wait a little bit and BAM! It's welded together. As far as craftmanship is envolved, practice, practice, practice. I have several tributes:) to my craftmanship taking up space in my shop:)

blckhawk

Only thing I know of thats been claimed to work real well and not leave alot of extra crappola on it...

mymojo

Registered
I just got done building one. I used 1/4 plexi and glued it with weld 3 it's like water works very well. be ready to make mistakes (and you will) like I did. the first one you build does not turn out as good as you wanted. but just take your time and go slow and good luck.

tft

Ok
1. Use screws, and nuts
2. Don't glue it, it will be harder to fix/take it apart later
3. There is no problem with grounding, just EMI
4. Don't cut the glass yourself, have the people at the hardware shop do it for you
5. Know EXACTLY how you will do everything, and your measurments.
And, be sure to have fun, and throw some cool lights and stuff in there. And remember, you're building it from scratch, so be sure to customize it as much as possible :D
If you have any questions, or want to see some pics of how I put mine together PM me.

mymojo

Registered
I really dont like to use screws. it does not look professional.and once I put it together why would I want to take it apart. I have one side on a hinge so I can get to the iners. but the lighting the inside up yea plexi cases look great all lit up.

tft

You might not think that you would want to take it apart now, but say a panel gets cracked somehow, or you want to add some new drive slots, and increase your mounting spaces for a new raid system you have, then you'll want to take it apart, and do what you have to do to it. Screws don't look bad at all, and you can even get clear screws, so they won't be seen.

mymojo

Registered
your right tft . if I would want to add more drives I would have to do a lot of work. I got 3 5 1/4 and 1 3 1/2 but someday I might want to add more. the next one I build and I have a good design for one. I will look into screws.the clear ones.