• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clear cases... yea or nay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazy smurf

Registered
I like the clear cases (mostly for vanity purposes), but I have heard that they tend to trap heat more than other types of cases. Anyone have any opinions one way or the other on them?

sandman001

Just Freeze It
they look decent, personally i think a clear with kind of a smoky type thing, then like something that would produce a nice glow onteh smoky stuff would be nice.

Intrepid

thing with clear plexi is keeping it clean would be hard, caus dirt will show up VERY well along with everything else, and you cant hide any wires behind the mobo tray as well or in some cases at all in these...

legendary

Well my case window is acrylic and I have a big scratch that I managed to make it fairly unnoticeable. Those clear acrylic cases look nice, but I can only imagine they scratch just as easily also.

larrymoencurly

One maker of clear cases issues a warning against running a computer in one unattended and says their cases are for educational purposes only. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the plastic is untreated and highly flammable?

CPFitz14

They also don't have any EMI shielding... so magnets near the computer could corrupt your Hard Drive a little easier. Of course, I try to keep magnetic things away from the computer anyway, so I don't know how much of a factor that would be.

-CPFitz-

Paradoxmaker

lazy smurf said:
I like the clear cases (mostly for vanity purposes), but I have heard that they tend to trap heat more than other types of cases. Anyone have any opinions one way or the other on them?

I keep seeing posts saying that the clear cases run hotter than an alu or steel one. Does anyone think like I do, and say that maybe the reason that they are hotter is not due to the material but due to the clear cases not having as many holes or grills in them for ventlation?

Intrepid

I would think that it is a case of both. the material will heat up better and maybe raise the temp a little a degree of two IMO. but they tend to be made with loks in mind, and not always preformance, so the point that they may just be lacking in design could be a valid one as well but this may bery from case to case.

nealric

Well, heat dont matter if your watercooling :D

Problem I can see is getting it scratched/dirty.

Also, most clear cases ive seen are small and difficult to work in.

No, I showered
larrymoencurly said:
One maker of clear cases issues a warning against running a computer in one unattended and says their cases are for educational purposes only. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the plastic is untreated and highly flammable?

They're not THAT flammable. Try flame polishing acrylic and you'll see what I mean. If your acrylic case is getting hot enough from your computer to ignite, you've got more serious issues anyways and MAY wanna try backing off on the overclock a little. :)