• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

client.cfg gets wiped clean on service start? help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

Has anyone ever experienced this problem... when installing FAH as a service, stopping the service, and then starting it again (even a full one minute later)... the client.cfg gets wiped out and replaced with:

Code:
[settings]
machineid=1

[http]
active=no

I am positive all FAH related .exe's terminate before starting service again too.

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
i don't run my consoles as services but i seem to recall something like this when i was editing machine id? in one of my client.cfg's ... possibly after i had put an invalid entry in it?
Any clues in fah.log file?

Were you editing the client.cfg while the service was running? ... i don't think this would cause the problem since i think the console only reads the client.cfg at startup but then writes back to it while it is executing and/or when stopping.

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
ChasR said:
It happens if you edit the file with anything but notepad.

or a compatible editor ... i use a free editor called NoteTab instead of notepad - with unmodifed settings for stuff like line wrap etc.

OP
Max0r

Max0r

Ahh I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT NOW!!!!!!!!!! I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE SQUARES INSTEAD OF LINEBREAKS LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
Max0r

Max0r

Thanks solved my problem 100%, now I can stop acting like Chris Farley ;) I guess its back to Crimson Editor for me... wit da black background color scheme.