• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

most deaf

got a water block i have made but cant work out hot to clip it on. i like the idea of using the holes but my board dosn't have any. ideas?

Maybe if you had some clips removed from some old heatsink. You could use one, two, or three of them to help secure the waterblock to the socket. Use loops of garden wire (INSULATED!!!) to help the clips reach the plastic hooks/lugs. Test the tension of the clips to see if they, together, exert enough pressure on the waterblock to mate with the CPU core. You might want to solder/braze the clips onto the waterblock to prevent the waterblock from rotating around the CPU core or from slipping sideways (although it is pressed against the motherboard). You could use fat double sided tape to secure the CPU to the waterblock to this end but don't worry, it'll definitely be removable compared to epoxy. Heck, this is how I plan to secure my homemade block to my (future) mobo.

You can fabricate something like what Danger Den used to use, or possibly buy one from them.

Hoot

Yeah, you could go with the bracket and screw thingy but be careful of over-screwing the screw (damn, my vocabulary's bad) or it'll crack your CPU core. You might want to take out your mobo first, and then try to measure a suitable depth of screwing (...) where the waterblock contacts FIRMLY with the core. Mark it down on the nylon screw. The bracket will also act as a spring to hold the waterblock in place.

cjtune (Jul 18, 2001 12:06 p.m.):
Yeah, you could go with the bracket and screw thingy but be careful of over-screwing the screw (damn, my vocabulary's bad) or it'll crack your CPU core. You might want to take out your mobo first, and then try to measure a suitable depth of screwing (...) where the waterblock contacts FIRMLY with the core. Mark it down on the nylon screw. The bracket will also act as a spring to hold the waterblock in place.
don't worry about it cracking, it is allready

most deaf (Jul 19, 2001 02:07 a.m.):
cjtune (Jul 18, 2001 12:06 p.m.):
don't worry about it cracking, it is allready

How did it crack? Is it still running OK? If it's cracked already, you might want to lessen the clamping force as it might aggravate the cracking.

Chances are you will pop a socket lug before you crack the core. A cracked core is terminal. Chipping the core is not always.

I made an adapter like the DD one for my FOP32-E, because the clip is so miserable to use. In tightening the screw, I heard a pop and one of the socket lugs had broken off. I glued it back on with JB Weld. If you fashion something like this, make sure to utilize all three lugs on each side of the 462 zif socket. That way, you will crack the core before you break off a lug. :D

Hoot

Back