• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CMOS Battery Lifespan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craigiz1

How long does the battery on the motherboard last? Or, when should I change it?
I did a search but didn't get what I was looking for.

craigiz1 said:
How long does the battery on the motherboard last? Or, when should I change it?
I did a search but didn't get what I was looking for.

I don't think there's a definite time duration. I've had an old 386 DX 40 running for 10 years on the same battery, and had to change a battery on a PII 200, which was only 1.5 years old.

your CMOS battery is given a 10 year life span. If you start losing BIOS settings then its time to change. Usually you never have to worry about it because most people dont own a motherboard for that long. Sometimes. like in Teacher_Doug's case it goes before its time but that doesnt happen too much.

Last edited:
were i am working right now, we have hundereds of systems coming in.... and the older ones, P1's i would say alot less that 1% of them have bad Batterys...
That is a problem that only comes up maybe every 2-3 weeks.

So the battery is something you dont really need to worry about at all. So like rlemieux said, not till you start losing BIOS settings, no need to change it.

Back