• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CNET crowns X800XT king

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
Nandro

Nandro

Disabled
No kidding, but the article was written yesterday. My point was showing what the general public will be seeing. I dont frequently check that site but I happened to need a download from there.

scott_55X

(May 4, 2004)
LOL, too early for anyone to crown a winner. The X800XT and 6800 Ultra are hardly out yet (lucky enough to get mine though :burn: ). The bottom line is the consumer is the winner because no matter which way you go, you win. These two top cards are so even, nobody can decare a winner right now, just the way it is.

scott_55X

What do you mean, I'm not sure I understand?

Wait, EDIT, I think I get it. :beer: I get lazy to make the link, I click on somone elses, then select "Manage my project" then copy/paste the link. I must have used yours, so now it includes both of ours? I will have to fix that ;) You must visit the Futuremark forum?

EDIT: Umm...just checked it and it just shows mine, guess I need your log-in then it shows both? Maybe I'm lost here :)

OBLIVIONLORD

10 fps diffrence between the n40 ultra and the x800Xt so far. I woul rather be at 60fps then 50.

scott_55X

Well, to me all it looks like it's win/win no matter what you choose. Even tho the Nvidia guys will declare victory, it really just proves both cards are awsome.

DarkMatter13

Scott, nevermind...I'm an idiot. It's a dynamic compare I think. So, if anyone with an active 3DM03 project clicks that link it will show their's as compared to yours. Shows what I know =P

:beer:

OBLIVIONLORD

I would have to agree with you on that scott and I do hope that is exactly what happenes in the finnal HL2 but, I just know micamica1217 will find a hole in their test somewhere or somehow. LOL

OP
Nandro

Nandro

Disabled
Someone needs to find the faults with the reviews. It keeps them honest and objective. Honestly there is no perfect way to do a reviw like this or even benchmark, unless you use every driver and every combination of hardware and every resolution and combination of AA AF as different hardware, settings, drivers may benefit a certain architecture or benchmark. He's actually got me looking for flaws in reviews, although I would bet I'm not as thurough.

micamica1217

OBLIVIONLORD said:
I would have to agree with you on that scott and I do hope that is exactly what happenes in the finnal HL2 but, I just know micamica1217 will find a hole in their test somewhere or somehow. LOL

I too have to agree with scott_55X...
both IHV seem to have put out cards that are quite good if not, awsome.

now as for the HL2 benchies, I won't even try to discredit the benchmark...
there is no need for such crap.

yet I would advise that anyone reading from this site to beware that they know and understand about the cards tested far less then we do.
infact, I would even go so far as to say that they don't know what they are doing/saying.

let's see if you don't agree with some of the things I noticed.

Well, here's what we can say about performance leaving quality aside? (By the way, optimisations were on in NVIDIA products, as they are enabled by default in ATI ones and there's no way to disable them in the settings panel).

can someone please tell digit-life, that there is a huge differance between trilinear and brilinear...no matter how ATI gives us trilinear filtering, we are still getting trilinear filtering.
every test listed got trilinear for the ATI cards, yet only got brilinear filtering for the nVidia cards.
(I mean, why not lower the mip maps option as well?)
What is important to note is that trilinear filtering is an effect or end state or result, not a method.
if this site doesn't understand that, then they shoud not be doing reviews to the hard core masses.

Surely, actual games are harder for NVIDIA, but we shouldn't forget that the company has the habit not to lay its cards on the table till a certain moment, so it definitely must have some reserves.

WHAT...how is benchmarking any game harder on nVidia cards, then it is for ATI?
do they realy think that we are that stupid and dumb?
who comes up with this crap? the nVidia police?
biased is what I call this statment...you call it what you wish.

Much will depend on the prices and PSU features (considering 6800 Ultra needs about 460-480 W).

by now this site should be well aware of what is needed in all the cards they are testing...to misinform the public in any small way is a disservice to us.

while I'm still wondering what AA+anis truly is, the site does a fine job in trying to test quite a few games in many situations.
yet I still will take everything I see from them and others with a grain of salt...you should too.

Nandro said:
Someone needs to find the faults with the reviews. It keeps them honest and objective. Honestly there is no perfect way to do a reviw like this or even benchmark, unless you use every driver and every combination of hardware and every resolution and combination of AA AF as different hardware, settings, drivers may benefit a certain architecture or benchmark. He's actually got me looking for flaws in reviews, although I would bet I'm not as thurough.

glad I could help...;)

mica

Dragonprince

That nvNews link review looks like all the rest of them out there and provides nothing really new or even interesting. Clearly the 6800 Ultra owns OpenGL titles. Also clearly the XT owns DX titles, nothing new there. Also as mica points out clearly we have another review site that lacks the technical ability to understand what features of a card they are testing. Also why is it that they only provide OC'd results on some of the Ultra tests? Are they implying that the XT cant OC, or that they do not know how? I understand its an Utlra review but still, if your gonna post OCing results for one card they should do it for all.

SilverJag

This might be a dumb statement but if you ask me, ATi probably paid cnet to post that because i don't think CNET would say "This fast new graphics card is limited by extreme system requirements." The 6800 might even beat the xt in some benchmarks or even compette with it. I don't think it deserves the review it did.

coldfusion71

Dragonprince said:
That nvNews link review looks like all the rest of them out there and provides nothing really new or even interesting. Clearly the 6800 Ultra owns OpenGL titles. Also clearly the XT owns DX titles, nothing new there. Also as mica points out clearly we have another review site that lacks the technical ability to understand what features of a card they are testing. Also why is it that they only provide OC'd results on some of the Ultra tests? Are they implying that the XT cant OC, or that they do not know how? I understand its an Utlra review but still, if your gonna post OCing results for one card they should do it for all.

from what i have read and saw people post on futuremark and rage 3d the xt is a terrible overclocker, may have to wait until more people get them . from the ones i seen, they are not good clockers unless you have phase change or a tec.i dont think ati owns direct x titles either, any game they win is by a small margin, any game that nvidia wins it is by a small margin, except in open gl. i would say they are pretty even but the ultra and gt has more features.

coldfusion71

you can still buy them online but, they are very scarce. there are a few people with them they have not hit the retail stores.they have been sold through best buy and compusa sites, my friend just got his shipped to him today.