• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold Boot Issue w/Seasonic S12-600W and DFI NF4 Ultra-D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheAdso

Registered
Here's my Specs and Issue...

System Specs:

AMD Opteron 146
Scythe Ninja Heatsink
DFI nForce4 Ultra-D
Mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000)
Sapphire RX1900XT 512MB VIVO R VC
Western Digital 7200 SATA2 16MB WD2500KS
Seasonic S12 600W PSU Rev.A02

Issue:

Basically the computer just refuses to power back up when completely shut down. The Standby Power LED and the DRAM Power LED both blink synchronously yellow whenever the machine is plugged in, but that is all. Initially for two months there were no problems at all. The computer ran smoothly with no issues. Then about a month ago it started refusing to turn back on. It refused to initiate any sort of powering on procedure. After completely powering down, unplugging the computer, clearing CMOS, and waiting an indeterminate period of time ranging from an hour to a week, the computer will boot. Once it does manage to boot it is completely stable and trouble-free. Currently it has been shut-down for over a week. As you can imagine this is highly frustrating in a system that is a new build costing ~$2000 and involving much labor and research to assemble.

So I am not even sure how to troubleshoot this really. I have yanked everything out and done a minimal install (CPU, HD, VC, PSU, Mem only), I have tried both sticks of ram singly and in different slots. Same result.

The symptoms seem to mimic the cold boot issue talked about here and other places, but I have not overclocked my memory and it uses UCCC chips, which is at the root of the issue if I understand the postings at DFI-Street correctly. I have also read that the Seasonic S12 doesn't play well with the DFI boards, but I have a later revision and it worked perfectly for months. (I did send Seasonic an email to see what their take on the problem was... no answer as of yet.)

So, I'm baffled.

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Mike

ps - I think my BIOS is the 6/23 revision.
pss - I don't have access to another PSU.

Last edited:
Back