• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cold" Cathode Pfft yea right

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drec

i dunno whats so cold about this sucker. its like having a mini heater in the case, id hate to see what the case temps are like for the guys with 3+ of these things.

OP
Drec

Drec

daniel_dynasty said:
my frend has 8 of em, and bad wiring.

buy some beef we can open up a steak house!

even more so if hes got a prescott :mad:

OP
Drec

Drec

autoMATTic said:
Um the lights dont even really give off any heat.

umm turn one on...and go back a few minutes later and put ur hand around it...then come back here and tell me that they do not give off alot of heat..

whne i have one on...my idle case temp is 26C when its off idle case temp is 22C the temp prob is at the top of the case hanging below the disc drives. and the light is on the floor of my case.

Phrenetical

I have a cold blue cathode up the top of my case, and seriously, NO HEAT, maybe you should check the voltage your running into it, or replace it, mine has been on for days on end and no heat at all, and its right next to psu, so it doesnt even absorb heat from that.

Cold cathodes operate at whatever temp your case is, that i guarantee.

shard

hey guys it depends on the company and how much plastic insulation there is on them. I used to have 4 green ones in mine and put off less than 5w of heat i would leave my computer on all day with the lights and i could touch and feal maybe a tiny bit of heat but thats it.

toyomatt84

Of course, did you even consider that they might be neons, not cold cathodes? Neons put off a ton of heat, so they sound more like the logical answer to your problem.

nocturnal714

The Lost Soul
i've had a few and i left one on overnight and it melted one of the other black inverters on my neon light not to mention that my case was running extremely hot. i've since stopped modding my case with lights and whatever eyecandy is out there because i don't find it appealing anymore than having greater performance while trying to keep things cool. sup double D :p

n17ikh

IIRC, the reason they're called "cold" cathodes is that instead of having a powered coil at one end and a terminal at the other like most fluorescents do, one end has a coil powered with high voltage DC, same as a normal fluorescent, but the other end gets used as an unpowered "antenna". It's basically the same principle as holding a fluorescent light up to a plasma ball and watching it glow, the end at the plasma terminal is getting DC at a reasonably high voltage and the other end acts as an antenna to dissipate the ions of the opposite polarity. They aren't cold as in temperature but "cold cathode" as in the cathode is unpowered and left to be used as an antenna. They still put off heat, just not as much as neons, which use an entirely different gas and higher voltages, which produce more heat. However, it's been a long time since I learned about the principle of the fluorescent light and the differences and similarities with the CCFL, so some of that may be incorrect.

ares350

Id say about 85degrees on mine, I dont think enough to change my temps any. the inverter; I dont know, its smack dab in front of a fan, so its cool; but I know it gets hot.

Aphex_Tom_9

i think the term 'cold' is used in the sense that it does not require heat to produce the light, not that they dont produce some heat as a byproduct.