• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Colorful Launches GTX 1630 NB Entry-Level GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

logo-Cropped-1-e1656433364518.png
Today, with Nvidia's launch of the new GTX 1630 graphics card, Colorful is the first manufacturing tree to bear fruit with its GTX 1630 NB GPU. Slated as Nvidia's new entry-level product, the GTX 1630 features a TU117 Turing processor with 512 CUDA cores and 4 GB of DDR6 memory. Colorful's GTX1630 NB comes equipped with two 90 mm fans and a red and black shroud and looks vaguely like old MSI cards when they were red and black. Connectivity is possible via a single HDMI, Display Port, or DVI connector. Availability is expected in the fourth quarter of this year (2022) with a price tag of $169.
Click here to read more!

COLORFUL, launching the new AMD GTX 1630!

(Seriously, with a name like that, they couldn't find another color scheme?)

At least at this $150 price. ;)

As a 1030 replacement, it has some worth with hardware acceleration for video decoding, h265 supporrt, and modern connectivity. It's also like 3x faster than the 1030. I'm not sure the 64/6500 has that (hardware decoding for video?], but they are faster games wise.

It's not great, but it's better than the other nvidia option at least, lol.

Last edited:
The RX 6400 has acceleration for H.264, H.264, and HEVC decoding up to 4k. It does not have AV1, so it's highly situational where the RX 6400 doesn't beat out the new GTX 1630.

EDIT: The $150 is NVIDIA's suggested MSRP, I'm not aware of any actual cards selling for this (i.e. the Colorful is $170). I think where the GTX 1630 may have a market is in low profile settings. I'm not sure if the RX 6400 has a low-profile option. I haven't looked into it as I have no need for LP but I'm sure there are plenty who do.

That's also a $150 card, the 6400. Seems like the better all around option, especially if youre gaming, but I understand why Nvidia created this thing. ;)

Edit: @Blaylock - IIRC, the Colorful is not quite reference. It's got supplemental power connector (not sure on clocks). But I'm imagining since it's after market and not quite reference it will fetch a premium (tpu review didn't last a price, said colorful wouldn't come off one..) Anything over the 6400 and this thing isn't worth much.

Last edited:
At this GPU power why not just use the onboard CPU graphics? I don't understand why someone would want to spend a $150 on a GPU that really can't do much. Am I missing something?

At this GPU power why not just use the onboard CPU graphics? I don't understand why someone would want to spend a $150 on a GPU that really can't do much. Am I missing something?
+1..... if the CPU has them. Outside of APUs, AMD desktop chips don't have iGPU, some Intel's don't too. That said, it's still more powerful than iGPU... for the moment. As Woomack said, if you need more than two/three monitors a discrete card is needed.

I don't understand why someone would want to spend a $150 on a GPU that really can't do much. Am I missing something?
The above should answer that. Not all desktop processors have iGPUs. AMD desktop does not (APUs do) and some Intel SKUs are without as well.

Because it's leaps and bounds better than what it's replacing and they are likely using something easy to mfg or have 'on hand' to do so. I mean, it's a $100 part. But the bottom end of the 3000 series is a $250 card, lol.

Our office machines use three monitors running off i7 onboard but I guess if you are gaming or graphic design with two/three? Seems like a money grab from people that don't know better though.

It will work, right, but you need to find a motherboard with three video outputs as well (most have 1/2). The good news is that mobos that have three are typically cheap, though some rock DVI along with the more modern HDMI/DP and you need a converter. You'd need to really look for something with three+ that doesn't include a DVI. I think a couple of Intel B660 boards support that.

Please stop tarnishing the turd I'm trying to polish! :rofl::escape:

Last edited:
I think I finally figured out why Nvidia developed this card. They felt bad for the new Intel Arc and wanted to create a product for comparative reviews so they slapped some 4 years old processors on with some of their slow vram and gimped a few of the cores.

Good game Nvidia. Good game.

Back