• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Come get your 4870 Review's =D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really hate Hardocps testing method. I always skip to their apples to apples tests.

I like HardOCP's methods because they list EVERY setting and what its at, a lot of other places just test AA and AF. Which I think is dumb especially since there are lots of other performance factors involved.

Overall the 4850 Xfired seems the winner. 400 bucks and run on a 100-150 dollar X38/48 board makes it the best bang for the bug for the high end. 4870's are good cards, but getting 2 for Xfire is pricey for me.

I didn't read EVERY review, but I did read a few, and there's a few things I'd like to see relating to crossfire. I didn't see any 4850 crossfire vs 9800GX2 tests that included OCing, and didn't see any 4870 crossfire vs 9800GTX tri-SLI tests at all (same price point)...

[H] had really poor OCs on the 4k series cards, hopefully that isn't the case for all cards.

Can we at least agree that the 4850 is the clear midrange winner now, with 4870 not really being worth the $100/50% premium?
I will agree with you on that one.
Are there lots of 9800GX2 for $400? Because the only one I could find quickly was from KFA
For a start, it's not KFA, it's Galaxy, KFA is just like Nvidia's "Geforce". Galaxy are owned by Palit who are a very reputable brand. At least my 8800GT doesn't have the shoddy Qimonda memory that EVGA/XFX etc put on theirs, and even better, it doesn't heat up to 90c.

Last edited:
I will agree with you on that one.

For a start, it's not KFA, it's Galaxy, KFA is just like Nvidia's "Geforce". Galaxy are owned by Palit who are a very reputable brand. At least my 8800GT doesn't have the shoddy Qimonda memory that EVGA/XFX etc put on theirs, and even better, it doesn't heat up to 90c.

What is your case a toaster?

Because neither of my 8800's got over 63C running FUR.

I've had several 8800's in both the GT and GTS varieties, and even w/ a volt mod they don't get that hot on the stock cooler as long as you use the fan adjustment. At this moment the fan speed is very difficult to adjust on the 4850, but don't worry...I'll find a way! ;)

eVGA, XFX, etc do not put the memory on the cards. I think it's Flextronics who does all the reference board builds. After a certain point in time all new reference boards switched to Samsung.

I'll agree that Palit has a solid reputation, though.

:beer:

eVGA, XFX, etc do not put the memory on the cards. I think it's Flextronics who does all the reference board builds. After a certain point in time all new reference boards switched to Samsung.
What I mean is they follow the refernence design, not improving on anything, and their are things that could be improved.
I had a reference XFX, and it ran pretty hot, but it was one of the first, the newer HSF has a larger fan, does it not. My XFX topped out at 700/1750/2000 even with the BIOS Vmod, I got this GT for cheaper and it is better in every way.

Anyway, back to the thread topic, does anyone know what speed the HD 4870's
GDDR5 is rated at?

What I mean is they follow the refernence design, not improving on anything, and their are things that could be improved.
I had a reference XFX, and it ran pretty hot, but it was one of the first, the newer HSF has a larger fan, does it not. My XFX topped out at 700/1750/2000 even with the BIOS Vmod, I got this GT for cheaper and it is better in every way.

GDDR5 is rated at?

Yes the 4870's memory is 900Mhz or 1800Mhz or 3600Mhz if you want to look at it in one of those ways.

GDDR5 is rated at?

Those changes, the fan and memory, were reference changes or spanned across seller brands. It has nothing to do with one of them improving the design since it sounds like they were all reference designs at the time they were made.

I want to say 4GHz effective (2GHz actual), but don't quote me on that.

Well people are hitting 1150 on the modules so they probably are rated higher than that.

So thats either 1150, 2300, or 4600Mhz Actual.

I'm going with a 4850 because I'm also upgrading to quad. What do you guys think-
Q6600
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
3gb DDR2 800 (Have 2 now, buying another 1gb dimm)
Visiontek 4850

What I plan on playing-
Halo 2, TF2, CS:Source, Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock

What I also plan on doing-
Photoshop work, workstation work really, building a website, writing. The quad is for that stuff, photoshop and website design really. I wanna multi task it.

You have 3 Gigs currently? Right now your memory is not running optimally due to the split 2 and 1 Gig stick setup. Still think it would run dual channel but not as effectively. If you put a third stick in your going down to single channel and you will really drop performance on the memory. If you want ideal get another 2gig stick and sell the 1 giger.

Well people are hitting 1150 on the modules so they probably are rated higher than that.

So thats either 1150, 2300, or 4600Mhz Actual.

Where are you getting 3 speeds from?

Is it QDR?

Afaik it's actually running 2300MHz, and it's effective speed is twice that since it's GDDR, so 4.6GHz.

My DDR-800 (rated at 400MHz) runs at DDR-1200 (600MHz) speeds, so I don't see your point. :shrug:

I'm going with a 4850 because I'm also upgrading to quad. What do you guys think-
Q6600
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
3gb DDR2 800 (Have 2 now, buying another 1gb dimm)
Visiontek 4850

What I plan on playing-
Halo 2, TF2, CS:Source, Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock

What I also plan on doing-
Photoshop work, workstation work really, building a website, writing. The quad is for that stuff, photoshop and website design really. I wanna multi task it.

As Deathman pointed out you want 2x1GB, 4x1GB, or 2x2GB. Other configurations may actually slow you down.

Where are you getting 3 speeds from?

Is it QDR?

Afaik it's actually running 2300MHz, and it's effective speed is twice that since it's GDDR, so 4.6GHz.

My DDR-800 (rated at 400MHz) runs at DDR-1200 (600MHz) speeds, so I don't see your point. :shrug:

Actually the GDDR5 that ATI is using is quad data rate so QDR. Its shown on the card as 900Mhz stock clock, yet its effective DDR3 speed is 3.6Ghz so overall if you want to be get dirty and "match" it to ddr3 thats where the 2.3Ghz comes from or the 900Mhz which ever you want to consider.

Back