• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Come to the conclusion..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

That the visiontek GF3 64DDR was a hell of a purchase!
It's now 2 years(an eon in tech years) and it's performance is still up there.
To get a reasonable increase I would still have to spend $300+.

This is the longest I have ever owned a Vidcard. Well at least over the last 10 years.

Since I OCed it the performance boost has prolonged it's replacement.

For me to upgrade it will take at least a 9700pro and I'm not willing to shell the $$ out for that right now.

BabyEater

In the exact same position as you there is nothing out there cheap enough that would get my attention. As the cheap versions of the R300 and the NV34 all seem not worth the upgrade as they are crippled.

OP
E

epauls

I think you(in that thread) hit it on the head.

Seems as time goes by it's getting worse and worse - these baby steps to lure the people that want the latest and greatest. I knew Intel had been doing this with their processors for quite some time but, I was hoping that do to increased compatition from AMD they would be making "giant leaps" and release what they had waiting in the wings..

Course maybe I'm getting old and they have been doing it a long time...you know back when I used walk 10 miles to school in the snow, uphill - both ways!

The scary thing now is that when they release a new product it's not even always faster....sometimes it is just faster under some circumstances while actually being slower in others...

Maybe we should start a technology revolt!! :mad: ;)

Like in order for us to accept(buy) a product it has to be at least 25% better.

Pinky

epauls said:
Maybe we should start a technology revolt!! :mad: ;)

Like in order for us to accept(buy) a product it has to be at least 25% better.

Until more and more people change their expectations and perceptions concerning PC hardware from "I gotta have" to "Do I really need", I doubt change is anywhere close... :(

OC Noob

epauls said:
That the visiontek GF3 64DDR was a hell of a purchase!
It's now 2 years(an eon in tech years) and it's performance is still up there.
To get a reasonable increase I would still have to spend $300+.

This is the longest I have ever owned a Vidcard. Well at least over the last 10 years.

Since I OCed it the performance boost has prolonged it's replacement.

For me to upgrade it will take at least a 9700pro and I'm not willing to shell the $$ out for that right now.

Two years is really good. How much did you pay for it?

I think the best time to buy is just after release once the product has taken the first big drop in price. A bit after it has been at web retailers for a while. Sure in six months it may go down $50, but you get to use it for those six months. That is the way I'm going to buy vid cards from now on.

Get it a month after release and get a top of the line or something that clocks upto top of the line performance. The it will give you an entire product cycle (1 year, not talking about the 6 month tweak) and you SHOULD still have atleast one more cycle (1 more year) before it starts to get dated. Who knows, it may last 2-3 years+ 4 or 5 if you really drag your feet like people playing with TnT cards now.

Or you can go middle of the road and upgrade more often and probably spend just as much money over.

Or you can go low end and drag your feet and save lots of cash, but thats no fun for an overclocker;)

OP
E

epauls

Re: Re: Come to the conclusion..

OC Noob said:

Two years is really good. How much did you pay for it?

Not sure exactly. That was when I bought my Alienware computer. I'm sure it was an $$ upgrade. I do remember that it took and extra week to get computer cause the card was so new that they had not gotten them yet. I was probably like the 2-3rd computer they actually sold with one. I think I was waiting for it to be released, that and the T-bird 1.4 before I ordered.

Pinky

Re: Re: Re: Come to the conclusion..

epauls said:

Not sure exactly. That was when I bought my Alienware computer. I'm sure it was an $$ upgrade. I do remember that it took and extra week to get computer cause the card was so new that they had not gotten them yet. I was probably like the 2-3rd computer they actually sold with one. I think I was waiting for it to be released, that and the T-bird 1.4 before I ordered.

I owned the exact same card when it was first released, cost me $280 retail.

attack

I'm running a 8500le and couldn't agree more. My card can run any game now very smooth...UT2k3 with 64 people on the screen and you'll notice some missed frames, but that's it. The only reason to upgarde would be for eye candy, in which the 9800 pro would have troubles with UT2k3 with a lot of people and 4x AA 16x Aniso.

I honestly see no reason to buy more than a GF3 or 8500le unless you want to put up benchmark numbers. Just my opinion, I've always been stomped on for saying that, but looks like I found my crowd!

Now when doom3 comes out, that'll probably put my card back in it's place....I'm not spending more than 100 so I'll have to wait till something compares to the 9800 pro and sells for 100 before i buy doom3.

OP
E

epauls

Well I was a lucky dog for awhile. As it ended up, through my business I was able to get a new top of the line computer every 9-12 months. When I would get the new computer it would be my personal one, the older one would go to me at work and the one I had would go to someone else at work.
Then our funding was cut by over $500K/year so I have not been upgrading that much at work and definetly not anything close to top of the line.
:(
So, since I have had the same computer for almost 2 years, I turned to OCing to get a little more out of it. One thing led to another and I ended up with the Rig in Sig.
The good news is that census increases plus a little relief from the Feds and we are doing 'better' now. I have a 8 computer lease coming up so I think I will at least get a new computer at work :D

I'm thinking of borging these 8 when they come in too ;)

Honestly I have not really seen the GF3 struggle. Maybe there is an image quality factor I'm not seeing but...hard to miss what you don't know about.