• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

command line version..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As far as I know Screen Saver is only active when Windows switches on the Screen Saver while Command Line is 100% all the time. Also Screen Saver has a lot of fancy graphics:

sscr.gif

which costs you cpu cycles. I've never used Screen Saver but posts here I recall people doubling their production by switching to Command Line.

Harvey

You can set the ScreenSaver version to run all the time.

It is way faster to just process the data than to process the data and then present it graphically.

The only reason I run a screensaver is to lock the console. The monitor is set to go to standby at the same time. If I wanted to just look at pretty pictures, I'll watch some TV. ;)

Screensaver (graphics allways off) vs Command Line -- Screensaver 20%-30% slower

Screensaver (graphics running constantly) vs Command Line -- Screensaver %200+ slower

I used to run the screensaver completely tweaked out for speed, and after switching to the CLC encountered a 27% speed increase. I've heard reports ranging from 20-30 percent, so that's what I've put down. If however you are allways (or most of the time) looking at the graphics (like if you use SETI as your screenaver) then times are at least twice as slow.

JigPu

Back