• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comments on this cooling mod (70mm fans)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phrenetical

Hey everyone OK, i can tell some of you are already like 70m fans, do they make those, the answer is yes, extremely hard to find but they exist.

Ok first check out this

My pc - click me

and look at pic 8 (pc - 8), that gap there under my cd drives, is 8.5cm high, by 14.5 - 14.7 cm wide, i intend to mount two 70mm fans (next to each other in that space) i ordered from this awesome Aussie OC site Low Noise PC , Seriously its the only place i could find in Aus with 70mm fans. Both 70mm fans are 3 pin connectors which will go on the motherboard (thus im able to control them somewhat) in case 28db is to loud mounted at the front like that, each fan pushes aroun 32 cfm, which in will total 64cfm

If you cant make it out from the images, my cooling at present is a gigabyte 3D cooler ultra GT, with 2*80mm exhausts at the back, plus the antec 480 W true blue 92mm exhaust, also one side 80mm intake, and one top 80mm intake.

The main idea behind this is to get the air flowing front to back, which im not entirley sure its doing atm, and to of course get tmps down, mainly of the ram though.
So yeah id like some comments as to whether people think this will work, and what they think about it. :thup: :beer:

[KX3]rAge

I would keep the two front 70mm's as intake and the other side 80mm as intake but I would move the top intake around to exhaust instead. this will get rid of the hot air that rises to the top of your case.

OP
Phrenetical

Phrenetical

[KX3]rAge - yep im gonna test having that top 80mm as intake and having it as outake, cause it does blow cool air onto the ram, and with two intakes at front, there will be enough cfm and exhaust to have a really quick air flow through the case and the hot air wont have time to rise much.

But as i said i will test both.

and to

Vortexkrow

its in my sig, but my CPU is a 3.0C (3 gig northy) @ 3.4 and the heat sink is a
gigabyte 3Dcooler ultra GT, i went with it over a sp94 because my MB doesnt have mounting holes.

[KX3]rAge

I have the same heatsink Phrenetical, but am soon going to either move to water or go with an SP-97, not certain for sure yet
but your setup looks nice! Have you actually put the 70mm fans in yet? if so, post some pics :)

w00p

I too would recommend you to have the top as outtake, but then put some litttle ramsinks on your sticks... They really make a difference, trust me, despite the fact that the top of the ram-chips are a sort of plastic...

Also, slightly offtopic, I see you have an Xoxide case, in fact, the same I'm planning on buying. Could you please give some pointers on how you like or dislike the case? It doesn't look too roomy, and because of the window, you really need good cablework or its quite a knock-off. So, could you swiflty review that case for me? ;)
(via PM if you want to, sorry for OT/thread hijacking, carry on now... :p)

OP
Phrenetical

Phrenetical

[KX3]rAge - will definently be posting pics once i gett he fans set up, havnt arrived yet, probably on mondy, friday if im lucky

w00p - this Xoxide case or who ever actually makes them, is made into about 10 different cases, to illustrate go to www.frozencpu.com then click on moddified in the cases menu. Click any of the cases that start with a X down the bottom, you will see what i mean.

But actually i like the case, though i modded it a fair bit. It has heaps of holes and screw holes at the back, but they didnt seem to fit any fans except 60mm, which suck. So i modded the back to allow for the two 80mm exhausts, apart from that it comes with pretty good cooling, it has two 80mm intakes at the front (some have 4), which are good for cooling HDD's. though im not using them.
Also has the side intake, normally led fan, also has the top outake, normally led as well. So its pretty funky.

On the room issue it has as much as you will need, you just have to be smart about cables, make sure they are all shielded, and you wont have a prob, not shielded and they will fall everywhere, but the case has enough room to put all the cables down the side of the cd drive bays (like i did), then under the HDDS, to the MB connections. then again, it depends on MB aswell.

What MB are you getting if your changing it???, but personally im happy with the case, for air cooling at least, if you going water, forget it, to small. But this case has awesome lighting, looks awesome, and i didnt have any probs with it when putting everything together, and i have a lot of stuff inside this case.

and thread highjacking, meh who cares, as long as you learn something

Also, can you give me some performance increase stats you saw from the ram sinks, iv been thinking of buying either 2 packets of them or 4 packets, cause ddr ram is double sided, so i dont know if need ram sinks on both sides of the ram, also id like to sell this ****ty apacer ram and get some giel or ocz 3700, even 3500. but that probably wont happen for a while, so let us know how ran sinks worked for you.

w00p

tbh, I don't have extremely knock-on-fact numbers, but once I installed them, the case temp rose by 2°C, wich means there's alot of heat dissipation. :thup:
I also simply "felt" in the entire handling of the PC that *something* went more stable, be it only while firing up mozilla or something. It DID make quite a difference to me, but unfortunately, I don't have any numbers to offer...
Something else I might just suggest are regular heatspreaders, since I've heard from a friend they helped him a bit and since they are designed for double sided ram, and cost as much as one packet of four ramsinks.
Do note though that you'll need a grand airflow that is sure to pass by your ramsticks, or the heatspreaders won't cool enough/at all.
Time to install those 2 80MM's in front, maybe? ;)

[offtopic]
I'm not too sure yet wich mobo I'll be buying but I'm near positive it'll be an AMD athlon XP2200+ system, because of the sharp pricing and the good bulk/buck rate.
My dad actually is letting me assemble our new family PC myself, but gave me a limited budget of 500€ because of my limited exam results...
If it were 100-1500€ I would've gone for the 64, but hey, its partially my fault too.

About your statement that the cables are easy to tuck away. I guess now would be a good time to tell you the only cable hiding I've ever done was on our old 486 viglen system, wich hasn't run for years...
Its quite funny actually, I didn't manage too good at keeping the cablework clean, but I blame that on the sheer room between the PSU and mobo, and the fact its a flat desktop. I did, however mange to do a cool thing with the flat(its atleast 9 years old, hey) IDE cables.
I simply used my swiss knife to gently cut the plastic in between the actual cables at a few times, so I'd have a few thinner IDE cables instead of one fat one, then I took a tie wrapper and bundled it together. My custom IDE! :D

What do you mean by shielded? Wire looming or wire sleeving?
Or simply out of sight/airflow?

Phrenetical said:
...and thread highjacking, meh who cares, as long as you learn something...
Gee, thanks :)

[/offtopic]

Last edited:
OP
Phrenetical

Phrenetical

The heat spreaders are a no go, most people claim they are useless and i havnt seen anything to warrant their use, performance or otherwise, some guys on this forum say they get better esults with them off.

The cables are easy so dont worry, if you have the money, by cable shielding, if your lucky enough find some wire loom, if your cheap like me, use thick (width wise) black electrical tape, the strong plain stuff, not the thinner crap. it works well, i quite like the way they turned out.

The 80mm slots i mentioned i dont want to add fans on them cause they would blow hot air from the HDD's over straight into the case, i dont want any more hot air in there.

later man, good luck with the build

OP
Phrenetical

Phrenetical

OK i installed the 70mm fans today after they arrived, heres a link to the pics

Link to pics

It got my tmps from 35 idle - 45 max load to
33 idle - 43 max load

Not bad, but it has let me OC to 3.45 stable (so far) from 3.4

does anyone know how to run dual instances of prime 95 torture test?

thanks guys, later.