• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

comp runs half the speed as usual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProfPyro

A while back I built a new P4 533 fsb comp into an old case I had. I noticed that it would idle sometimes at 55 celsius. I didn't think that was too healthy so I replaced the stock heatsink and put a vantec tornado on it. It still idled at 50 and the case temp was 45 so I decided to jigsaw a 92mm blowhole in the top and I hooked a 92mm tornado with a rheostat. I didn't read all the specs before hooking it up but long story short when I booted up the fan killed my 430 watt power supply and wouldn't power back up until I unplugged it. After getting it to power on when I unplugged it, my comp seemed to run half the speed it once ran at. I just need to know what any of you think is the hardware that got fried. Ihave narrowed it down to the proccesor, motherboard, or memory. All software and the video card work well. I have replaced the power supply and got a new case so the temp problem is tackin care of but it still runs slow.

Tipycol

Well since you narrowed it down to those 3 components, did you try replacing any of them with something you already have, like extra ram?

Daemonfly

BIOS settings? Is the P4 throttleing down? I know they will throttle down somewhere near that temp (not sure of the exact temp atm...)