• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp system reccomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenocide

right now im running a 500w sony reciever/amp with 2x100w KLH bookshelf speakers. just doesn't do it for me anymore in games. im looking at getting a 5.1 system but im not sure what to go with. i saw this on egg and i really like it, but i cannot find any information on it. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-131-015&depa=0

it was suggested i buy the logitech z640s, by maxvla, my god and mentor (much love to you max honey), but i can go a little higher than $55, but i can't dish out the cash for z680s. any advice here?

Last edited:
Since you already have a reciever, i would reccomend buying a 4.1 or 5.1 set of passive speakers (or speakers with only a powered bass module)

Xenocide said:
the reciever won't do true 5.1 or 4.1 system so thats out of the question

Oops didnt see that sorry.

What about buying an inexpensive 2.1 set and using it for the rear speakers, and buy a pair of the HK6 bookshelf speakers and run them off the reciever for the fronts?

I have never seen or heard of that company.The set looks like a Bose acoustimass copy.The bose version is bad enough.I can only imagine what these would sound like?

The signal to noise ratio is 70db.That is terrible.

Edit: I dont know the specs on the logitechs but everyone seems to like them
including me.I say get the logitechs.

Yeah,the higher the better,less hiss when you turn them up.5db over the other set is alot.You would definitely hear the difference.Go with the Logitechs.Have fun!

stratcatprowlin said:
Yeah,the higher the better,less hiss when you turn them up.5db over the other set is alot.You would definitely hear the difference.Go with the Logitechs.Have fun!

70dB is a very high signal to noise ratio in the grand scheme of things. That means the noise floor is 70dB below the maximum output. Therefore if you are listening at 100dB, the noise floor would be 30dB, which would almost certainly be inaudible.

If both of the speakers specs are accurate, it shouldnt matter either way, but it will also depend on how the measurements are taken (eg full power, 1 watt, 1v etc)

Last edited:
so your saying those bose rip offs are still good? hrm. im thinking about trying them since i really do like my bose system, no matter what you audiophiles say :)

Azzkiller said:
70dB is a very high signal to noise ratio in the grand scheme of things.

I disagree,70db is like listening to a cassette deck with dolby C.
Its no way near compact disc's specs and I do think it is very audible.
Maybe thats not a problem for you,but I didnt buy a dvd/cd player to listen to noise levels comparable to cassette decks.I can listen to a cassette with less than 70db of s/n ratio no problem but I wouldnt want my speakers to be the bottleneck when listening to other higher fidelity sources.

Last edited:
Xenocide said:
so your saying those bose rip offs are still good? hrm. im thinking about trying them since i really do like my bose system, no matter what you audiophiles say :)

No Im not saying those speakers are good but Im glad you enjoy your Bose speakers.

stratcatprowlin said:
I disagree,70db is like listening to a cassette deck with dolby C.
Its no way near compact disc's specs and I do think it is very audible.
Maybe thats not a problem for you,but I didnt buy a dvd/cd player to listen to noise levels comparable to cassette decks.I can listen to a cassette with less than 70db of s/n ratio no problem but I wouldnt want my speakers to be the bottleneck when listening to other higher fidelity sources.

How do you know its like listening to a cassette deck? Does that mean you are confident that you could hear a 30dB sound with a 100dB sound also playing? On most of my recordings the noise floor is higher than any other component I have by far.

The 'published' spec for both those speaker sets may be in the 70dB range, and Cassete may be in the 70dB range, but that doesnt mean its true.

The point I was trying to make is 'spec shopping' is in many cases a poor way of differenciating audio components. The S/N ratio these days doesnt really mean much IMO, and especially wont give any indication about how a speaker set will sound. If you listen in an anechoic chamber where air currents are the biggest noise you have, then maybe the S/N ratio might be a problem. But for computer speakers, its pretty pointless.

Xenocide said:

I'm saying don't look at the Signal to noise ratio to compare speaker sets. The manufacturers likely rate using different methods (which would make the values incompatible for comparison) and for PC use, unless you have a silent room, you probably arent going to need to worry about excess hiss or a high noise floor.

On computer speakers, I can't think of a single spec that I would use for comparison. IMO the only way to compare is to listen yourself, or rely on the reviews of others.

Azzkiller said:
How do you know its like listening to a cassette deck? Does that mean you are confident that you could hear a 30dB sound with a 100dB sound also playing? .

Well,for one because I had a cassette deck.So I know what hiss sounds like.
Second Because its the quiet passages that make it possible to hear the noise not when the song is going at full volume.Example,Your listening to a classical piece of music,there are 10 instruments playing really loud.Then they cut out and a classical guitar does a solo at a very low volume compared to the 10 instruments.you are going to hear the hiss when the guitar is playing.

Now,are we on the same page? or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?
If I am,then I am completely lost as to what we are talking about.

stratcatprowlin said:
Well,for one because I had a cassette deck.So I know what hiss sounds like.
Second Because its the quiet passages that make it possible to hear the noise not when the song is going at full volume.Example,Your listening to a classical piece of music,there are 10 instruments playing really loud.Then they cut out and a classical guitar does a solo at a very low volume compared to the 10 instruments.you are going to hear the hiss when the guitar is playing.

Now,are we on the same page? or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?
If I am,then I am completely lost as to what we are talking about.

I used to have a cassette deck too. And I also heard hiss. The problem there is not that the s/n ratio is only 70dB, in reality it is probably like 30-40dB.

I'm not arguing that tape has a lower s/n or dynamic range than a cd. What I am arguing is the usefullness of comparing the figures. What if the generic speaker set he was comparing had its s/n ratio measured at full power? And then the Logitech's were measured at 1 watt? If that were the case, the generic set would have a BETTER s/n ratio, provided the generics put out over 4 watts or so. And you also have to take into account how they measure the signal to noise, and other factors.

I personally would reccomend the Logitech speakers over those generics too, but comparing potentially incompatible specs isnt a good idea IMO.

I wouldn't go with the logitechs.. they have some serious build quality issues.. My friend has the 680's and has gone through 2 sets of sats.. 2 control pods and 1 sub... the company replaced them repeatedly, however...that wouldn't make me want to buy them.

For 4-5.1 setups the best recommendation I can give are the Klipsch 4.1's 4.2's or 5.1's (not the GMX series) These are great. Best quality setup you can get for the $. The only problem is they are a little bright and have some sibilance issues. But if you take the treble down about 1/20 of a turn they sound fine. The only other issue is that they come with some pretty shoddy speaker wire, but replacing that can be done manually later, and really improves the sound from the allready great system.

It sounds better than the logitechs btw. (by a HUGE margin..)

PS:
Btw, it might not be "doing it for you" because you are missing two important elements. KLH speakers are no good / bad news, and should be replaced with some Athena bookshelves or JBL or Klipsch. (I had a KLH floorstanding speaker and a KLH subwoofer... the sub got stripped of its cone and yeah the inside looked like some drunken third world child got his hands on a glue gun for the first time... and the cone was cardboard.. (not nice fiber either..) got replaced with a nice Infinity Kappa driver due to the box dimensions. the floorstanders I resold (only had them a week). I've had about 20 different sets of speakers at my house, and those were some of the worst.

Element 2- a subwoofer. Bookshelf speakers are probably only going to get you down to 45 hz... and that's probably at - 6 Db's. you're probably missing a LOT in the sub 100 hz range. This is where a subwoofer comes into play. You can get a decent yamaha sub on sale for cheap. Or the athena sub (although that doesn't go really low...) I suggest building your own. It's much cheaper that way. Just go do some listening tests ad BB or Tweeter ETC or any other Hi-Fi store.

Last edited:
Back