• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp Wont Hibernate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fccdj

I have my comp set to hibernate after three hours but it never does the only thing i can think of is the their is a backgroung program running the wont let it hibernate. So i looked at the task manager and there were only two programs running that had a priority higher then the normal setting they were winlogon.exe set at high and csrss.exe also set at high what can i do to fix this problem

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Make sure you've got ACPI enabled in the BIOS - although I'm not sure if the option to hibernate would even show up if it was disabled.

Try posting in General Hardware. Hopefully a mod will be nice and move your thread for you. :)

OP
F

fccdj

thanks ill look at that and one of the mods did move it but i put it here because i didnt think it was a problem with the hardware.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
It has to be setup in the BIOS, and even then I've only had a handful of machines that could even accomplish going into and coming out of sleep mode without crashing.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Can you manually go into hibernation? If so, then it's a software issue. (Like a driver or some other background process.)

-- Paul

OP
F

fccdj

yes i can go into manual hibernation and come out of it without any problems im running xp pro and there are two proccess running that have a high priority could thos cause it to do this

macklin01

Glad to hear that it works manually -- that means it's certainly a software / driver issue.

Not those particular two processes; they're always there, and they don't prevent hibernation on my particular system. It need not be a high-priority processes, either, that's causing the trouble.

I'd trying downloading the latest drivers for everything and seeing if that's at all helpful. Good luck! :) -- Paul

macklin01

I'm not sure on that one, but certainly if you haven't upgraded to SP1, it would be worth the shot. -- Paul

@Ben721: LOL, when I saw your user name, I thought to myself, "Isn't he the nice guy who posts about X-Hour all the time ... ?", and then I saw your custom rank. Nice! ;)0

macklin01

Hmm, that shouldn't happen; SP1 is primarily a snapshot of the available updates on Windows Update. I think we have some driver issues here. It might also be antivirus software. (Some versions of Norton keep my wife's computer from hibernating, for example.)

Could you please list such things as:
1) Your motherboard & CPU
2) Your video card
3) Your sound card (if any)
4) Your network card (if any)
5) Your modem (if any)
6) Your memory (not as necessary in this case)
7) Your optical (DVD, CD, etc.) drives
8) Any other major equipment in your computer.
9) Your Antivirus software, and any other background utilities.

You might consider going to your device manager and disabling (via right-click) individual pieces of hardware until you find which one is keeping your OS out of hibernation. Also, if you have antivirus software, temporarily disable it (or close it altogether) and see if that makes a difference. If you typically leave any programs open all the time, try closing them. It's some piece of software (either a driver or user-interactive software) that's causing your problem. If you have a Via-based board, you should update the 4-in-1 software as well.

-- Paul