• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compact mini itx build suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The NDA changed again? I thought it was the 21st?

Quote from one of the vendors "No disclosure of all other benchmark and performance data measuring software till May 20, 2020 at 6:00AM PDT (Pacific Daylight Time)."
Another one said that NDA is till May 20 but no hours were given.
I know that the NDA was at least two times changed and because of that one of the samples was delayed for 2 weeks.

Right now all are flooding the web with motherboard previews ;)

I'll have to check again. Nobody updated us/Tom's yet that I know of (mobo embargo). Maybe the CPU is the 20th mobos the 21st... but that makes little sense.

I'll have to check again. Nobody updated us/Tom's yet that I know of (mobo embargo). Maybe the CPU is the 20th mobos the 21st... but that makes little sense.

One vendor said that the 20th is the date so I asked the second one as I wasn't sure and they confirmed that. I'm not sure about the CPU as I got it with the mobo.

So new motherboards and cpu are out for some time already and the only thing left is to decide which cpu is better for this build.
My main two options right now are Intel Core i7 - 10700K and Intel Core i9 - 10900. I know they are quite different, but I remember Woomack was saying that the 8+ chips could be a bad idea in my case(pun intended). Although if it won't be a problem then i9 - 10900 is a good option.

as for the other parts
NZXT H210
ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming
Noctua NH-U14S (but I can install oc in case NH-U14S won't be enough)
+ 2 more fans on top and back
gtx 980ti for now
Samsung MZ-V7S2T0BW (m.2 970 evo plus 2tb)
32Gb(16+16) DDR4 3600MHz G.Skill Sniper X
Seasonic PRIME Platinum 750W

Sorry for not responding. Feel free to post to an existing thread to bring attention to it again. :)

The case and cooler will be fine for that CPU at stock speeds and likely a bit of an overclock.

Sorry for not responding. Feel free to post to an existing thread to bring attention to it again. :)

The case and cooler will be fine for that CPU at stock speeds and likely a bit of an overclock.

Thanks for the answer!
I see. Does it require liquid cooling or I can use that noctua?
Also, what if it'll be 10900k? They are not that different in heat level.

As I said.. your current air cooler will be fine for that CPU at stock and probably some overclocking.

for rendering, look at the software, if it renders on all cores, just get the I9-10900 non k.
if it prefers single core speed then the i-7k chip
the 10900k just costs to much to gimp it with a limited sized cooler.

for rendering, look at the software, if it renders on all cores, just get the I9-10900 non k.
if it prefers single core speed then the i-7k chip
the 10900k just costs to much to gimp it with a limited sized cooler.

It renders on all cores.
But what if I use Noctua NH-D15 or liquid cooling?

Noctua NH-D15 is just right for the 10900K but I recommend keeping the CPU at auto settings. Anyway, this CPU is almost not overclocking so it doesn't really matter if you get 10900 or 10900K.

for me, using blender, it uses all cores, all the cores and threads I can afford and as many gigs of slow, cheap memory as I can fit.
I find fitting the project into memory more important than core speed.

Noctua NH-D15 is just right for the 10900K but I recommend keeping the CPU at auto settings. Anyway, this CPU is almost not overclocking so it doesn't really matter if you get 10900 or 10900K.

Got it. So if I'm not going to overclock anyway I can get 10900 without loosing anything? I just thought that 10900k is safer.
Also was a bit confused by the previous comment about "gimping it with a limited sized cooler". Will it be ok with the ND-D15 in h210 case? Have to double check because I wouldn't like a cpu bottleneck because of the bad cooling.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

for me, using blender, it uses all cores, all the cores and threads I can afford and as many gigs of slow, cheap memory as I can fit.
I find fitting the project into memory more important than core speed.

similar case here. Blender + sometimes keyshot

how many gigs of memory do your projects need?
will they fit in gpu memory?
have you done your research on ryzen chips?

I would hold off until the 10th gen intel stuff comes out z390 is end of life.

you gimp A K chip by undercooling it, and limit the overclock.

The only problem with the 10900K is that they are not overclocking high as they're already maxed out. On the 10900K all cores run at 4.9GHz and single cores up to 5.2GHz... and the same on the 10900. When you use the best cooler (like available in stores and not custom water for $1k+) and try to overclock it manually then it will reach 5.0-5.1GHz max on all cores. So I guess that all depends on how high is the difference in price and how much someone needs that 100MHz more. Of course, if someone is spending a lot of money on the whole PC then it's better to get the K version, just because it's slightly better but I don't think it will change much.

The problem with 10900K cooling is that no matter if you use something like Scythe Mugen 5, Noctua NH-D15 or the best 360 AIO, the CPU will overclock the same so mentioned 100-200MHz max even though the temperature difference can be +/-20°C. Even delidded 10900K are not overclocking better.

Another thing is that maybe getting Ryzen 3900X, which is cheaper, would give better results and the CPU itself uses less power and has more cores.

I don't think many really "need" $1K custom loops, even for rendering, I just prefer big water.
With high core count/thread count chips A weak cooler will allow throttling, something to be avoided.
Even on top of one of my FX 8350's A coolermaster master air ma620m will keep it at 4.6 for days on end rendering, I just don't really think A $25 cooler would do the trick.

Back