• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq dual everything server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rollins II

A friend asked me to help him find cpu´s and RAM for his company´s servers. They bought a whole lot used and want to upgrade them since they are really basic equipped. All are dual capable but only one cpu and 256Mb ram etc.

In this lot there is a Compaq server of a kind I havent seen before. It is made out of two independent dual P3 550 cpu rack computers, each with a two beefy SCSIs card with loads of surface mounted blue LEDs and one PCI card that appears to be an separate computer of its own(VGA, keyboard an LAN connectors). It also has dual redundant PSU´s and two hot-swappable SCA drives.

These two computers are connected with LAN, SCSI, video and keyboard to a central unit wich holds a number of hotswap SCA drives in RAID configuration. This unit also has dual redundant PSU´s.

The whole package comes in one neat rack unit, 10 U or so.

Anybody seen a machine like this before?

OP
Henry Rollins II

Henry Rollins II

Hmm these servers have VRM modules. Do I have to use a original Compaq cpu/VRM or could I use a retail cpu and a 3rd party VRM? The cheapest Compaq 550 Mhz cpu kit I can find cost $150+. A retail cpu and vrm is about $50-60.

Im not sure if the VRMs are standardized, but they 3rd party ones looks just like the Compaq modules.